Old February 24th 07, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dr J R Stockton Dr J R Stockton is offline

Default Motspur Park speed restriction

In uk.transport.london message , Sat, 24
Feb 2007 15:52:02, Paul Terry posted:
In message id, Dr J
R Stockton writes

I've misplaced a better answer; but the unused hole is a bit over one
train-width to the north, and a few yards to the east, of the working
one. The ends are easily seen.

Ah, got it!

When built, both tracks of the Kingston loop buried under the main line
at Elm Road, and then ran in parallel with (but independently of) the
main line (i.e. on what are the southern pair of the four tracks). So
the mysterious hole was for the Kingston Loop up-line before the main
line was re-arranged for four-track running through to Surbiton. I'm
not sure when that was, but it would have been when the Kingston up-
line was re-routed across the rather awkward level crossing at Elm Road
and on to the north side of the main line, thus leaving the unoccupied
short tunnel under the main line.

According to the Middleton book on the Kingston loop, the old up-line
track was there until about 1884. It can be seen (using the magnified
view) at:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/oldmaps/in...ing=520855&nor
thing=168482

I see - the routes seem to be separate as far back as Raynes Park.

You won't see from Google; but the middle half of the Elm Road
overbridge is a brick arch of great age and inadequate size. The
southern quarter of the bridge is considerably younger but apparently
decrepit. The northern quarter is now about a week old; I think the
southern quarter has a week to live.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 IE 6.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms