Old February 27th 07, 06:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

Default Southall - Zonal fare rip-off?

On 26 Feb, 20:28, "Graham J" wrote:

I often used to buy a single from East Croydon to Edmonton Green. *The
ticket office staff at East Croydon invariably looked up Edmonton Green in a
big book and then issued me with an East Croydon to U1234 ticket. *It used
to annoy me because it cost more than the correct single ticket. *I never
realised I was also travelling on an invalid ticket.

G.

IMX both as a booking clerk, sorry Customer Service Officer, and as a
passenger, is that the procedure, especially at stations outside or on
the other side of London, goes like this:

Pax: Single to (eg) Streatham Hill please.
Clerk: (1) Looks up Travelcard/london Fare Area map and sees SRH is in
Zone 3, OR (to colleague), "What zone's Streatham Hill in, Dave?")
(2) Issues SDS to U123.

Many staff simply don't understand the difference, as the original
Goodmayes example, and now East Croydon, show. Adequate training is
the only answer. My advice to colleagues was always if you were
unsure, try to issue as a point-to point. If this doesn't work, then
it's more than likely on the Underground, so then check the Travelcard
map and issue a U-zone ticket.

There is always the possibility that it is a non-existent place,
though - I was recently asked for a single to "Bell Common Green".
Turned out it was Bush Hill Park (Enfield) he wanted.

Ken