Old March 16th 07, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default North London Line Revisited

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:22:02 +0000, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

In message , Paul Scott
writes

I feel there is a real risk that the shiny new trains will attract even more
new passengers than they have space for - its a pity the planned service
frequency increases can't be guaranteed to be delivered at the same time as
the trains...

Ok, my two pennorth on how to improve the NLL.

1. Get the stations manned ! That will give control over the fare
dodgers who seem to think the service is free. It will also give more
control of the huge amount of haulage that goes on. Plus it will get rid
of the impression that no one is in charge of it.

TfL will fix this.

2. Get longer trains now. Not in 5 or 7 years but make it a priority to
get the platforms enlarged and get the 4 carriage trains within the year
and extend to 6 carriages by 2012.

To be fair this is not achieveable in the short timescale you specify.
Whether we like it or not getting new and longer trains into service
takes time for a pile of good reasons even if the public might not like
or understand those reasons.

3. Get all the mile long goods trains to run at night. No exceptions.
During the day it's for carrying Londoners, not bags of cement.

If you were to insist on this then it is likely the cement will go by
lorry and wreck London's streets. I take the point but rail freight
customers do have access rights under the NR regime so they have an
entitlement to daytime paths that is protected under rail regulation.

I would prefer that there was a policy to provide additional track,
siding and signalling capacity to correctly cater for passenger and
freight traffic in the most effective manner to meet both sets of needs.

4. Get the staff trained in how to deal with the public. I see the
problems the Tube got rid of years ago. Not a huge moan about obviously
tired and harassed staff.... they just need training.

I am sure TfL and their concessionaire will do that too.

Ok, that'll do for starters :-)

I expected a longer list.
--
Paul C