Old March 17th 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default North London Line Revisited

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, TimB wrote:

Which is what I meant by widening. The sooner the better!

I believe the issue with the gauge is not one of width, but rather of
height - the shipping industry of moving from standard containers
with a height of 8'6" to the 'high cube' type with a height of 9'6".
Standard containers will go through the W8 gauge, but high cubes
won't; i *think* high cubes will fit in W9 gauge, but don't quote me
on that - it rather depends on how high the bed of the wagon is.

That is correct, AIUI.