Old April 3rd 07, 03:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
8sub 8sub is offline

Default Southern's 13 Power Box Scheme

"D7666" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 3, 6:10 am, "BH Williams" wrote:

'Waterloo' eventually became 'Wimbledon'. Dartford was resignalled, but
instead of the part-completed (built, but not kitted-out) box at
Gillingham
being used, it went into some of the under-used acres of Ashford IECC.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of - the BR SR 13 plan for
Ashford was not the same as the new Ashford that is today,

In
terms of passenger-miles, the majority of the former Southern Region is
probably controlled by about a dozen or so control centres.

Yes and no - there are approaching that number of large panel/IECC
boxes
Waterloo/Wimbledon
Feltham
Woking
Basingstoke
Eastleigh
Portsmouth (haha)
Victoria
Three Bridges
London Bridge
Dartford
Ashford
= 11,
but the point about the SR 13 is they would have eliminated *all*
other boxes, and clearly there are still a large number of those all
over the present southern zone. So today instead of 13 large area
boxes and nothing else, we appear to have 11 larg-ish area boxes plus
quite a lot of other installations, some of which looking as if they
will run on for ever.

--
Nick

Arundel was being mentioned recently as being upgraded to a power box but I
think it will be at Barnham now.