Old April 25th 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Steve Steve is offline

Default Signage for Bakerloo southern extension

This morning I took the Bakerloo southbound from Waterloo, and noticed
that the route maps opposite the platforms appeared to have been
blanked off after Elephant & Castle, suggesting truncation of the
line. A little research reveals various plans for southern extensions
over the years, but with very little having happened on the ground
apart from what became glorified headshunts at Elephant & Castle. It
seems strange, therefore, that maps were put in place for these
extensions before the tunnels were dug - unless the maps had to be
replaced for other reasons and the blanking panels were designed for
later removal. The other odd thing is that the Waterloo - Lambeth
North - Elephant & Castle section of the map (which of course is the
only section shown opposite the southbound platforms) appears to take
up only about the first quarter of the map, suggesting room for at
least six more stations - as I understand it there have never been
more than another three planned.

Can anyone explain this?

Steve Adams