Old June 8th 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default New DLR rolling stock?

Londoncityslicker wrote:
On 8 Jun, 12:07, sweek wrote:
According to this news article from 2005
(http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?...=/en/0_0/press...
), the new DLR rolling stock

"(...) are scheduled to be delivered between May 2007 and September
2008."

Since it's June now, I wonder if anyone has any updates on what is
happening? Is there a delay?

The DLR website says that "an order of 55 rail cars has been placed.
Following testing, all cars will be operational by 2009. Many will be in
use before this time." I don't know whether the first delivery has
happened, but there will anyway be a period of testing between first
delivery and entry into public service.

I wish they'd also make them look a bit more attractive.
Paint them New York Subway silver? give them a bullet train nose?

The computer-generated image shown at
http://developments.dlr.co.uk/enhanc...sp#newrailcars
looks more modern that the current fleet.

One of it's nicknames was the toy town railway.
And it looks even more dated now.

Not great for a hi tech part of London (the country/Europe)

I think most people are impressed by DLR reliability rather than whether
the trains have a sexy front end.

--
Richard J.