Old June 8th 07, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New DLR rolling stock?

According to this news article from 2005 (
http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?... sCateg%3D1_0
), the new DLR rolling stock

"(...) are scheduled to be delivered between May 2007 and September
2008."

Since it's June now, I wonder if anyone has any updates on what is
happening? Is there a delay?

Old June 8th 07, 01:22 PM
Junior Member

Location: East End

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek
According to this news article from 2005 (
http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?... sCateg%3D1_0
), the new DLR rolling stock

"(...) are scheduled to be delivered between May 2007 and September
2008."

Since it's June now, I wonder if anyone has any updates on what is
happening? Is there a delay?
Here is TfL's equivalent release http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/5057.aspx

Paula
Old June 8th 07, 01:42 PM
Junior Member

Location: East End

Also from the last TfL Board meeting papers here:
Quote:
3.3 DLR Projects
The first car for the new fleet of 55 vehicles for the DLR has been completed by
Bombardier in Bautzen, Germany. The plant has been equipped for testing which
will commence soon. These trains are needed for Woolwich Arsenal, the 3 Car
upgrade, the extension to Stratford International and for Olympic services.
Paula
Old June 8th 07, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Jun, 12:07, sweek wrote:
According to this news article from 2005 (http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?...=/en/0_0/press...
), the new DLR rolling stock

"(...) are scheduled to be delivered between May 2007 and September
2008."

Since it's June now, I wonder if anyone has any updates on what is
happening? Is there a delay?

I wish they'd also make them look a bit more attractive.
Paint them New York Subway silver? give them a bullet train nose?

One of it's nicknames was the toy town railway.
And it looks even more dated now.

Not great for a hi tech part of London (the country/Europe)

And like the thouands of new buses, I dont suppose they'll fit air
conditioning either.
(one for another thread maybe?)

A.

Old June 8th 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Londoncityslicker wrote:
On 8 Jun, 12:07, sweek wrote:
According to this news article from 2005
(http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?...=/en/0_0/press...
), the new DLR rolling stock

"(...) are scheduled to be delivered between May 2007 and September
2008."

Since it's June now, I wonder if anyone has any updates on what is
happening? Is there a delay?

The DLR website says that "an order of 55 rail cars has been placed.
Following testing, all cars will be operational by 2009. Many will be in
use before this time." I don't know whether the first delivery has
happened, but there will anyway be a period of testing between first
delivery and entry into public service.

I wish they'd also make them look a bit more attractive.
Paint them New York Subway silver? give them a bullet train nose?

The computer-generated image shown at
http://developments.dlr.co.uk/enhanc...sp#newrailcars
looks more modern that the current fleet.

One of it's nicknames was the toy town railway.
And it looks even more dated now.

Not great for a hi tech part of London (the country/Europe)

I think most people are impressed by DLR reliability rather than whether
the trains have a sexy front end.

--
Richard J.

Old June 8th 07, 06:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 04:07:24 -0700, sweek
wrote:

According to this news article from 2005 (
http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?... sCateg%3D1_0
), the new DLR rolling stock

"(...) are scheduled to be delivered between May 2007 and September
2008."

Since it's June now, I wonder if anyone has any updates on what is
happening? Is there a delay?

I've read an article recently which had the DLR top brass at the
Bombardier factory to see the first train that has been built as part of
the order. I don't recall a date for delivery to London but the batch is
certainly on its way. Despite searching I can't find where I read it!

There will be a different front design to the train but this was not
shown in the "first train" article.
--
Paul C

Old June 9th 07, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 06:48:22 -0700, Londoncityslicker
wrote:

And it looks even more dated now.

Do you think? I think it just looks like an European light rail
U-Bahn.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old June 11th 07, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Londoncityslicker wrote:
On 8 Jun, 12:07, sweek wrote:
According to this news article from 2005 (http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?...=/en/0_0/press...
), the new DLR rolling stock

"(...) are scheduled to be delivered between May 2007 and September
2008."

Since it's June now, I wonder if anyone has any updates on what is
happening? Is there a delay?

I wish they'd also make them look a bit more attractive.
Paint them New York Subway silver? give them a bullet train nose?

The NY subway cars are not painted silver, they are bare stainless
steel. From the 1959 tube stock to 1983 tube stock all London
Underground trains were finished in unpainted aluminium, and after
repeated vandalism and cleaing, they looked very poor. The current
paint is much an improvement. The trouble with bullet noses is they
take up space where units couple together. LU looked into this idea
with their 1935 prototype trains (very impressive machines, especially
compared with the standard stock that went before), but dispensed with
them for the production 1938 tube stock.

One of it's nicknames was the toy town railway.
And it looks even more dated now.

Trouble is fashions change more rapidly than the lifespan of a railway
vehicle, and it's often cheaper to order a follow on to an existing
design (that works well in service) than start again designing and
certifying a new design. In the UK cost fashion generally.

Not great for a hi tech part of London (the country/Europe)

And like the thouands of new buses, I dont suppose they'll fit air
conditioning either.

Aircon is of uncertain utility where there are so many, frequent stops
as on the DLR. You would only just start cooling the air down before
you let more hot air in by opening all the doors.

Robin