Old July 9th 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Oyster and bus goes out of service

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:45:59 +0100, Colum Mylod
wrote:

I thought there was some clever system to avoid double charging peeps
whose bus was pulled out from under them en route? Last Friday my
journey on a 220 was cut short, caught another 10 mins later. Journey
history shows

06/07/07 19:30 Entry £1.00 £10.60
19:07 Entry £1.00 £11.60

Before I call up for a refund, is this a situation where drivers don't
program the reader properly? Not that buses should cut short in my not
so humble opinion - this seems to be a particularly nasty London
disease.

Was the bus already on a short trip when you boarded or were you
curtailed once you had got on? If the latter then the driver should
have waited to transfer you to the next bus or presented you with a
transfer ticket. There is no electronic set up that would mean the
second bus's reader would not deduct from your PAYG as you boarded. When
I have been chucked off a short turned 24 the inspector made sure we
were all escorted on to the bus behind with a very clear message of "do
not revalidate your Oyster card". I would challenge the second
deduction as the driver should not have dumped you at the roadside if
you were curtailed after you boarded. If the bus was already running
short when you got on then I'm afraid it's tough luck as short turns do
happen and people should really look where the bus is headed.

Only the LU system (as it is connected to the central system) can have
instructions sent to it to alias other stations or ensure that if there
is an emergency that means people have to exit the station can continue
by bus with no charge. Not sure if DLR is the same or not.
--
Paul C