Old July 13th 07, 05:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Oh dear - commuter services out of Euston today, poor incident planning and the BTP

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:27:44 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Ah, so you had not followed the instructions. Good job it wasn't a fire.

It was quite obvious that it was not a fire[1]; it had been explained
quite clearly over the PA what was going on, and I felt that joining
the masses in the concourse could have put me in danger or at the very
least more discomfort than remaining on the platform. I was not the
only one taking that view.

[1] If they use "Fatality at Harrow and Wealdstone and resulting
overcrowding" as a means of identifying a fire over the PA then they
are very, very stupid. No, Inspector Sands was not called.

(Oh yes, I know, get someone
to count them! But presumably they would reason that once things start
to move they wouldn't want to be wasting time doing things like that
when there is a much more simple way of determining the answer , as in
removing everyone from the train and telling them to vacate the
platform.)

Easier? Yes. Safer and more effective? No.

It seemed like a manifestation of the typical South East "keep them on
the concourse and tell them at the last minute" nonsense.

Neil

--
Neil Williams