Old July 30th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default OT Paris Taxis

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
Does anyone here have any knowledge of regulations regarding cabs in Paris?

I was a bit perturbed yesterday when the meter on a cab I took between
two railway termini read only E-Erreur. I suspect the driver had
switched off the meter and was on the fiddle somehow. We were not
overcharged for the trip (I suspect the driver understood I was
suspicious as I told my partner in clear English that I thought
off-meter work was illegal).

I have noted the cab's number.

If (and this sounds unlikely) the journey went outside the City of Paris
itself (ie outside the "75" departement, roughly enclosed by the
boulevard peripherique) then the meters don't apply and the fare should
be agreed first.

But if the two railway termini were main line ones then this probably
doesn't explain it.

My French is rather poor but I wonder if I should still try to report
the matter somewhere.

Regulation of taxi is the responsibility of the Prefecture of Police.

According to their website at

http://www.prefecture-police-paris.i...fr/contact.htm

you can e-mail comments on taxi service to the rather unlikely address
of:

Feel free to take this to e-mail with me if you'd prefer to send
something in French.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK