Old July 30th 07, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OT Paris Taxis

Does anyone here have any knowledge of regulations regarding cabs in Paris?

I was a bit perturbed yesterday when the meter on a cab I took between
two railway termini read only E-Erreur. I suspect the driver had
switched off the meter and was on the fiddle somehow. We were not
overcharged for the trip (I suspect the driver understood I was
suspicious as I told my partner in clear English that I thought
off-meter work was illegal).

I have noted the cab's number.

My French is rather poor but I wonder if I should still try to report
the matter somewhere.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old July 30th 07, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

My French is rather poor but I wonder if I should still try to report
the matter somewhere.

Try Inspector Maigret at the police HQ, Quai des Orfèvres. He'll be happy to
investigate.

E.

Old July 30th 07, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
eastender wrote:
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

My French is rather poor but I wonder if I should still try to report
the matter somewhere.

Try Inspector Maigret at the police HQ, Quai des Orfèvres. He'll be happy to
investigate.

Unfortunately M. Maigret appears to be en vacences at present, he's away
visiting some rum sounding cove named Wimsey.

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom ... So express yourself
Old July 30th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
Does anyone here have any knowledge of regulations regarding cabs in Paris?

I was a bit perturbed yesterday when the meter on a cab I took between
two railway termini read only E-Erreur. I suspect the driver had
switched off the meter and was on the fiddle somehow. We were not
overcharged for the trip (I suspect the driver understood I was
suspicious as I told my partner in clear English that I thought
off-meter work was illegal).

I have noted the cab's number.

If (and this sounds unlikely) the journey went outside the City of Paris
itself (ie outside the "75" departement, roughly enclosed by the
boulevard peripherique) then the meters don't apply and the fare should
be agreed first.

But if the two railway termini were main line ones then this probably
doesn't explain it.

My French is rather poor but I wonder if I should still try to report
the matter somewhere.

Regulation of taxi is the responsibility of the Prefecture of Police.

According to their website at

http://www.prefecture-police-paris.i...fr/contact.htm

you can e-mail comments on taxi service to the rather unlikely address
of:

Feel free to take this to e-mail with me if you'd prefer to send
something in French.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old July 30th 07, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf typed

If (and this sounds unlikely) the journey went outside the City of Paris
itself (ie outside the "75" departement, roughly enclosed by the
boulevard peripherique) then the meters don't apply and the fare should
be agreed first.

I would very much doubt if either Gare d'Austerlitz or Gare du Nord were
out of town; they're the rough equivalents of Euston and Victoria,
aren't they?

Thanks.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old July 31st 07, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
In article ,
(Helen Deborah Vecht) wrote:

Ian Jelf typed

If (and this sounds unlikely) the journey went outside the City
of Paris itself (ie outside the "75" departement, roughly
enclosed by the boulevard peripherique) then the meters don't
apply and the fare should be agreed first.

I would very much doubt if either Gare d'Austerlitz or Gare du Nord
were out of town; they're the rough equivalents of Euston and Victoria,
aren't they?

Thanks.

I always thought of Austerlitz as the Paris equivalent of Waterloo. I
remember after my first exchange visit to Paris asking why the railway
stations seemed to be named after defeats. :-)

Bet that went down well.

Mind you, over at Porte Doree [1] there's a monument to the French
victories in Vietnam.......

You're right about Gare du Nord and Austerlitz being in the City of
Paris.

Indeed.

On reflection and if the fare seemed right, it may simply have been a
faulty machine. What's the London procedure for a faulty meter?
(Mike H?)

[1] Top get vaguely on topic, the nearest metro station for the former
transport museum at Saint Mande. Now closed I understand with no clear
idea for a replacement.

Even more back on topic, the museum was home to preserved London
Trolleybus 796 and I think an RT whose number I can't recall.

Old July 31st 07, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Paris Urban Transport Museum (was: OT Paris Taxis)

Ian Jelf writes:
... the former transport museum at Saint Mande. Now closed
I understand with no clear idea for a replacement.

I posted the following in April to misc.transport.urban-transit.
I don't have time right now to look and see if there is any newer news.

[End of new text]

* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

In March 2005, James Robinson and I (Mark Brader) wrote:

Any idea when the Urban Transport museum near Paris will
reopen, or what the problem is? They no longer give a date
on their web site.

Indeed, I don't think a date has been given since back around 2000
when they actually started moving the collection to the new site.

It seems to be a funding problem. ...

And in June 2006, I posted a followup:

... I rechecked the web page I cited above, and it's been changed
since I last looked. (I can't tell how recently...)

It now mentions *another* problem, one that they never admitted
to before, but which they now say has existed since 2002 -- a new
municipal government dead set against the museum! (They don't
say why.) The upshot is that with the federal government on their
side, they do expect to reopen, but they'll need a new site, so
who knows when? And they're now thinking in terms of a mixture of
a full-time museum with paid staff and a weekend one with volunteers.

Just now I checked again, and it seems that agreement was reached on a
new location the same week that I posted that. This is in a suburb
called Chelles, one of the eastern endpoints of RER Line E. Here's the
web page where they announce that the municipal council has approved it:

http://www.amtuir.org/01_musee/01_musee_projets.htm

And here's a PDF copy of the museum's periodical from September, with
more details about the site:

http://www.amtuir.org/02_amtuir/bulletin/info269.pdf

The periodical says it's a bimonthly publication and the link that took
me there claims to lead to issue 271, which would be January; but actually
it seems that issue 269, from September, is the only one online. One
thing I immediately noticed in it was that they were hoping to have the
museum open again on a weekend basis in 2008 -- but at this point I'll
believe that when I see it. Anyway, it's forward movement.

I'll probably translate some of the material about the museum later, but
I thought I'd post this now while I have the URLs handy.
--
Mark Brader "Sixty years old and still pulling a train!
Toronto That's more than I can say about most