Old July 31st 07, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default Paris Urban Transport Museum (was: OT Paris Taxis)

Ian Jelf writes:
... the former transport museum at Saint Mande. Now closed
I understand with no clear idea for a replacement.

I posted the following in April to misc.transport.urban-transit.
I don't have time right now to look and see if there is any newer news.

[End of new text]

* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

In March 2005, James Robinson and I (Mark Brader) wrote:

Any idea when the Urban Transport museum near Paris will
reopen, or what the problem is? They no longer give a date
on their web site.

Indeed, I don't think a date has been given since back around 2000
when they actually started moving the collection to the new site.

It seems to be a funding problem. ...

And in June 2006, I posted a followup:

... I rechecked the web page I cited above, and it's been changed
since I last looked. (I can't tell how recently...)

It now mentions *another* problem, one that they never admitted
to before, but which they now say has existed since 2002 -- a new
municipal government dead set against the museum! (They don't
say why.) The upshot is that with the federal government on their
side, they do expect to reopen, but they'll need a new site, so
who knows when? And they're now thinking in terms of a mixture of
a full-time museum with paid staff and a weekend one with volunteers.

Just now I checked again, and it seems that agreement was reached on a
new location the same week that I posted that. This is in a suburb
called Chelles, one of the eastern endpoints of RER Line E. Here's the
web page where they announce that the municipal council has approved it:

http://www.amtuir.org/01_musee/01_musee_projets.htm

And here's a PDF copy of the museum's periodical from September, with
more details about the site:

http://www.amtuir.org/02_amtuir/bulletin/info269.pdf

The periodical says it's a bimonthly publication and the link that took
me there claims to lead to issue 271, which would be January; but actually
it seems that issue 269, from September, is the only one online. One
thing I immediately noticed in it was that they were hoping to have the
museum open again on a weekend basis in 2008 -- but at this point I'll
believe that when I see it. Anyway, it's forward movement.

I'll probably translate some of the material about the museum later, but
I thought I'd post this now while I have the URLs handy.
--
Mark Brader "Sixty years old and still pulling a train!
Toronto That's more than I can say about most