Old August 13th 07, 02:27 PM
somersetchris somersetchris is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Anderson View Post
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Mr Thant wrote:

On Aug 12, 11:55 pm, somersetchris somersetchris.
wrote:

The only bottle neck will be Canonbury tunnel.

I meant the ECML diveunder south of Finsbury Park station, which I don't
think could be fixed to be double track very easily (I realise there is
a second track already, but it's pretty heavily used by trains from
Moorgate)

?

Okay, are we now talking about terminating the ELL at Finsbury Park, by
reversing out of a bay platform on what is now the Canonbury reversible
line? If so, yes, you're quite right - you'd need to make that diveunder
three-track, or else you have a single-lead approach that stretches all
the way to the NLL. From the air, there looks like there's enough space to
add a third track; are there pillars or something in the way down there?
Failing that, there are a couple of places you could put in passsing
loops: around Drayton Park, and between the diveunder and the station
(exploiting the existing goods track that joins the down Canonbury from
the main line).

Given that there will still be a single-track bit through the tunnel, how
much difference does this really make?

tom

--
a draw was agreed once the pieces started melting
The line could be doubled from inside the tunnel through to Drayton Park (it looks as though it used to be!). It is only the curve at the NLL end which would have to stay single I think. But I am not sure on that. There are a lot of wires inside the tunnel at that end on the curve which I think must be something to do with gauging.