Old August 19th 07, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default How are the bus stops at Lancaster Gate supposed to work?

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:50:34 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist
wrote:

I saw that the 46 route has been extended from Warwick Avenue via
Paddington down to Lancaster Gate so I used it a few days ago from
Paddington to Lancaster Gate. The odd thing was that at Lancaster
Gate the bus stopped on the right side of the road on the one-way
system around the station, outside the tube station entrance.

It did not feel like the most safe bus stop I have used when I had to
get off the bus right into the street... Was the problem that I
stayed on the bus too far (is it just a bus stand outside the
station and I should have got off before the station)? Or is it
supposed to be a bus stop outside the station in the way I used it?
The driver did not look like she was surprised that I used it as a
bus stop...

The Journey Planner and Spider Maps for the route / area are not
helpful. I'm not 100% certain but the stop you say you alighted at is
really only a bus stand. I think you should have alighted at a stop on
the Bayswater Road. The only other alternative is that the bus pulls
in at the stop from which it would normally start its journey and let
passengers off and then circumnavigate the one way system again. I can
understand why drivers might be reluctant to do that.

On departure I understand the bus should pull across from the stand to
the normal stop for people wishing to board.

This is clearly unacceptable, and indeed dangerous. If that's just a bus
stand at the terminus, the driver should ensure that all passengers alight
at the previous stop, in the same way that Tube staff ensure a train is
empty before it's taken into a siding. If a driver opens the doors so that
a passenger alights into the middle of the road, IMHO that should be
reported to TfL as a dangerous practice.
--
Richard J.