Old August 19th 07, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How are the bus stops at Lancaster Gate supposed to work?

I saw that the 46 route has been extended from Warwick Avenue via
Paddington down to Lancaster Gate so I used it a few days ago from
Paddington to Lancaster Gate. The odd thing was that at Lancaster Gate
the bus stopped on the right side of the road on the one-way system
around the station, outside the tube station entrance.

It did not feel like the most safe bus stop I have used when I had to
get off the bus right into the street... Was the problem that I stayed
on the bus too far (is it just a bus stand outside the station and I
should have got off before the station)? Or is it supposed to be a bus
stop outside the station in the way I used it? The driver did not look
like she was surprised that I used it as a bus stop...

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old August 19th 07, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:50:34 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist
wrote:

I saw that the 46 route has been extended from Warwick Avenue via
Paddington down to Lancaster Gate so I used it a few days ago from
Paddington to Lancaster Gate. The odd thing was that at Lancaster Gate
the bus stopped on the right side of the road on the one-way system
around the station, outside the tube station entrance.

It did not feel like the most safe bus stop I have used when I had to
get off the bus right into the street... Was the problem that I stayed
on the bus too far (is it just a bus stand outside the station and I
should have got off before the station)? Or is it supposed to be a bus
stop outside the station in the way I used it? The driver did not look
like she was surprised that I used it as a bus stop...

The Journey Planner and Spider Maps for the route / area are not
helpful. I'm not 100% certain but the stop you say you alighted at is
really only a bus stand. I think you should have alighted at a stop on
the Bayswater Road. The only other alternative is that the bus pulls in
at the stop from which it would normally start its journey and let
passengers off and then circumnavigate the one way system again. I can
understand why drivers might be reluctant to do that.

On departure I understand the bus should pull across from the stand to
the normal stop for people wishing to board.

--
Paul C

Old August 19th 07, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

This is clearly unacceptable, and indeed dangerous. If that's just a bus
stand at the terminus, the driver should ensure that all passengers alight
at the previous stop, in the same way that Tube staff ensure a train is
empty before it's taken into a siding. If a driver opens the doors so that
a passenger alights into the middle of the road, IMHO that should be
reported to TfL as a dangerous practice.
--
Richard J.

Old August 19th 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

There are no other stops at Bayswater Road for this route as far as I
can see, it arrives from north (Sussex Gardens). The 'LC' stop is
opposit to the stand where I alighted so I don't think it would be
possible to first stop at 'LC' and let passengers off and then cross all
the lanes over to the stand at the right side of the road.

The only other alternative is that the bus pulls in
at the stop from which it would normally start its journey and let
passengers off and then circumnavigate the one way system again.

That would be possible. Either 'LA' or 'LC' stops could be used for
alighting in this way.

I can
understand why drivers might be reluctant to do that.

Yes, if that is what they are supposed to do it looks to me as a quite
complicated route terminus.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old August 20th 07, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I'm reasonably familiar with Lancaster Gate and I've seen a 46 do
exactly what you describe (let passengers off into the middle of the
road at the bus stand). However, I'm certain they're not supposed to do
this. I've never used 46 to Lancaster Gate before but the Journey
Planner maps reckon that they are supposed to drop passengers off on
Westbourne Street (at the end of Clifton Place), and would therefore
then cross to the other side of the road, turn the corner and pull into
the bus stand.

However, that bus stop isn't on the spider maps (usually even
alighting-point-only stops are shown on spider maps) which is a bit odd.
And I'm sure I can't remember that stop being there, even though I must
have been past it dozens of times.

The only other alternative is that the bus pulls in
at the stop from which it would normally start its journey and let
passengers off and then circumnavigate the one way system again.

That would be possible. Either 'LA' or 'LC' stops could be used for
alighting in this way.

I can
understand why drivers might be reluctant to do that.

Yes, if that is what they are supposed to do it looks to me as a quite
complicated route terminus.

--
Dave Arquati

Old August 20th 07, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave A wrote:

I'm reasonably familiar with Lancaster Gate and I've seen a 46 do
exactly what you describe (let passengers off into the middle of the
road at the bus stand). However, I'm certain they're not supposed to do
this. I've never used 46 to Lancaster Gate before but the Journey
Planner maps reckon that they are supposed to drop passengers off on
Westbourne Street (at the end of Clifton Place), and would therefore
then cross to the other side of the road, turn the corner and pull into
the bus stand.

However, that bus stop isn't on the spider maps (usually even
alighting-point-only stops are shown on spider maps) which is a bit odd.
And I'm sure I can't remember that stop being there, even though I must
have been past it dozens of times.

I used the "Contact Buses" form at TfL Buses website now. Not exactly to
complain, just asked them to explain how it is supposed to be around
there. Will be interesting to see if and how they respond.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old August 28th 07, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Olof Lagerkvist wrote:
Dave A wrote:

[...]

Sorry for replying to my own post, but I got a response from TfL this
morning and just wanted to share it.

quote
I was concerned to learn of the events you describe as we aim to provide
easy to use and safe services for our passengers

Clearly, any locations where passengers board and alight from buses must
be safe. The location you have described does not appear to meet this
requirement and I apologise for this.

Consequently, I have been in touch with the Network Operations Manager
for the area and asked him to look into the matter. He has confirmed
that you should have been dropped off at a temporary alighting point in
Sussex Gardens. This arrangement is in place while a permanent
alighting point is constructed in Westbourne Street.

Details of your experience have been highlighted to Metroline, who
operate the route 46 service on our behalf. They will remind all
drivers on the route of the correct stopping arrangements.
/quote

Good to know that it was not meant to be a bus stop in the way I used it
and good to hear that they are about to construct a permanent bus stop
in Westbourne Street.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451