Old August 30th 07, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Do you own a diesel engined vehicle?

In message , John
writes
Do you own a diesel van-mini bus-truck- or any other type of diesel engined
vehicle? if so the check out the TFL website and search for LEZ (low
emmissions zone)and see what Ken Livingstone and TFL are going to introduce
from next year (a daily charge of £100 or £200 to drive anywhere inside the
M25).

Are going to let him getaway with this?

He already has.

All London's (diesel) taxis must have their exhausts upgraded to the
latest Euro levels. This has meant retro fitting exhausts on older
taxis, including the TX1's, at an average cost in excess of £2,000 +
VAT. To offset this the trade was given an extra 20p per fare increase
just over 2 years ago. On the number of fares I do per shift it will
take me another 3 years to get back the £2,300 mine will cost me.

I can understand the desire to make the environment better and as a taxi
driver sitting in traffic I would benefit from it, but to have to make
everyone retro fit rather than allow for natural turnover with a higher
standard for newer vehicles is not going to win many friends in motoring
circles. What about the costs - they will be passed on somehow so how
does that benefit people?

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England