Old September 23rd 07, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Who cleans the foreshore?

John Rowland wrote:
I was at the southern end of Battersea Church Road recently, and a
causeway leading into the river was absolutely covered in rubbish.
I am guessing that Wandsworth Council is not responsible for
cleaning anything below the high water mark, and that rubbish
builds up there until the next high tide takes it back into the
river. But the fact that rubbish builds up there makes it an ideal
place to remove the rubbish and prevent it getting back into the
river, so that it won't end up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean,
where the pile of rubbish is already ten times the size of England.
So is anyone responsible for de-littering causeways?

The PLA (Port of London Authority) have some relevant responsibilities,
but I suspect they may only be concerned with safety of navigation (e.g.
clearance of large objects) rather than general litter removal. In some
areas voluntary groups do regular clean-ups. See www.thames21.org.uk

--
Richard J.