Old September 23rd 07, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Who cleans the foreshore?

I was at the southern end of Battersea Church Road recently, and a causeway
leading into the river was absolutely covered in rubbish. I am guessing that
Wandsworth Council is not responsible for cleaning anything below the high
water mark, and that rubbish builds up there until the next high tide takes
it back into the river. But the fact that rubbish builds up there makes it
an ideal place to remove the rubbish and prevent it getting back into the
river, so that it won't end up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, where the
pile of rubbish is already ten times the size of England. So is anyone
responsible for de-littering causeways?

Old September 23rd 07, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
I was at the southern end of Battersea Church Road recently, and a
causeway leading into the river was absolutely covered in rubbish.
I am guessing that Wandsworth Council is not responsible for
cleaning anything below the high water mark, and that rubbish
builds up there until the next high tide takes it back into the
river. But the fact that rubbish builds up there makes it an ideal
place to remove the rubbish and prevent it getting back into the
river, so that it won't end up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean,
where the pile of rubbish is already ten times the size of England.
So is anyone responsible for de-littering causeways?

The PLA (Port of London Authority) have some relevant responsibilities,
but I suspect they may only be concerned with safety of navigation (e.g.
clearance of large objects) rather than general litter removal. In some
areas voluntary groups do regular clean-ups. See www.thames21.org.uk

--
Richard J.

Old September 23rd 07, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:46:50 +0100, John Rowland
wrote:

... the middle of the Pacific Ocean, where the
pile of rubbish is already ten times the size of England.

I'm intrigued by this fact. Any further info?

--
Fig
Old September 23rd 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

... the middle of the Pacific Ocean, where the
pile of rubbish is already ten times the size of England.

I'm intrigued by this fact. Any further info?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Pacific_Gyre

I'd've thought it unlikely rubbish from the Thames would end up
there.

--
Shenanigans! Shenanigans! Best of 3!
-- Flash

Old September 23rd 07, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:46:50 +0100, John Rowland wrote:

I was at the southern end of Battersea Church Road recently, and a causeway
leading into the river was absolutely covered in rubbish. I am guessing that
Wandsworth Council is not responsible for cleaning anything below the high
water mark, and that rubbish builds up there until the next high tide takes
it back into the river. But the fact that rubbish builds up there makes it
an ideal place to remove the rubbish and prevent it getting back into the
river, so that it won't end up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, where the
pile of rubbish is already ten times the size of England. So is anyone
responsible for de-littering causeways?

see http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=24864

Theres loads of them on the river, much easier than picking stuff up.

Steve

Old September 23rd 07, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:46:50 +0100, John Rowland wrote:

I was at the southern end of Battersea Church Road recently, and a
causeway leading into the river was absolutely covered in rubbish.
I am guessing that Wandsworth Council is not responsible for
cleaning anything below the high water mark, and that rubbish
builds up there until the next high tide takes it back into the
river. But the fact that rubbish builds up there makes it an ideal
place to remove the rubbish and prevent it getting back into the
river, so that it won't end up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean,
where the pile of rubbish is already ten times the size of
England. So is anyone responsible for de-littering causeways?

see http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=24864

Theres loads of them on the river, much easier than picking stuff
up.

It may be easier, but it means that the rubbish stays on the foreshore
at Battersea until the next spring tide, then spends a couple of weeks
being washed back and forth by the tides until finally reaching
Greenwich, that is if it hasn't meanwhile been dumped on another
foreshore by another spring tide.
--
Richard J.

Old September 23rd 07, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/pu...are_we_2.shtml

Old September 24th 07, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 23, 9:56 pm, Steve wrote:
seehttp://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=24864

Theres loads of them on the river, much easier than picking stuff up.

Theres a rubbish catcher between the millenium bridge and blackfriars.
Not sure how effective it is given its only about 10 or 20 foot wide.
Most of the rubbish seems to sail past it.

B2003

Old September 24th 07, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

... the middle of the Pacific Ocean, where the
pile of rubbish is already ten times the size of England.

I'm intrigued by this fact. Any further info?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Pacific_Gyre

I'd've thought it unlikely rubbish from the Thames would end up there.

Quite. Here's more likely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargasso_sea

tom

--
Formal logical proofs, and therefore programs, are *utterly
meaningless*. -- Dehnadi and Bornat
Old September 24th 07, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 21:03:24 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

Steve wrote:
[17 quoted lines suppressed]

It may be easier, but it means that the rubbish stays on the foreshore
at Battersea until the next spring tide, then spends a couple of weeks
being washed back and forth by the tides until finally reaching
Greenwich, that is if it hasn't meanwhile been dumped on another
foreshore by another spring tide.

As it says they have 2 boats and 8 traps, so its not just grenwich. I'm
not sure what EA do above the Teddington boundary stone, I guess the weirs
help.

Grab a boat down the river some time, you will see them all the way down
the tidal section.

Steve