Old September 23rd 07, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Who cleans the foreshore?

Steve wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:46:50 +0100, John Rowland wrote:

I was at the southern end of Battersea Church Road recently, and a
causeway leading into the river was absolutely covered in rubbish.
I am guessing that Wandsworth Council is not responsible for
cleaning anything below the high water mark, and that rubbish
builds up there until the next high tide takes it back into the
river. But the fact that rubbish builds up there makes it an ideal
place to remove the rubbish and prevent it getting back into the
river, so that it won't end up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean,
where the pile of rubbish is already ten times the size of
England. So is anyone responsible for de-littering causeways?

see http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=24864

Theres loads of them on the river, much easier than picking stuff
up.

It may be easier, but it means that the rubbish stays on the foreshore
at Battersea until the next spring tide, then spends a couple of weeks
being washed back and forth by the tides until finally reaching
Greenwich, that is if it hasn't meanwhile been dumped on another
foreshore by another spring tide.
--
Richard J.