Old October 8th 07, 09:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
TheMekon TheMekon is offline

Default Eastfields Level Crossing

ONscotland wrote:

On 5 Oct, 13:16, Standing at HN28 signal
wrote:

Hi all, there has been talk for some years that a station would be
built near to Eastfields Level Crossing (between Streatham North
Junction and Mitcham Junction for those not in the know) but I wasn't
aware anything was approved. However, driving past the other day I
notice a lot of clearance work going on, and have to wonder if this
means something is actually happening about it. Does anyone know more?

Yes, the station is going ahead.
Here's the press release from Merton Council.
http://www.merton.gov.uk/press-relea...ls.asp?id=1587

"It will provide a direct rail link to London Victoria with at least
two trains per hour stopping in each direction, and is only a 10
minutes walk from Mitcham town centre.

The new station, with its modular and contemporary design making use
of renewable energy sources, will be the first of its kind in the
country. This modular 'prefab' design means that the station could be
built and operational by the end of the year, as new components can be
delivered from a depot and slotted into place on site."

I drove over it a few days ago and wondered what they were building so
close to the railway. That'll be the station then.

Once upon a time, many moons ago, when I was a lad, I was enjoying a
footplate ride in a 4 SUB going over the crossing. There was a signal
box controlling the crossing then. The signal man did something stupid
with the signals - not sure what - so the driver stopped the SUB (on the
crossing) so he could shout a load of abuse at him. Those were the