Old October 6th 07, 08:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Eastfields Level Crossing

"Standing at HN28 signal" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 5 Oct, 21:40, "Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message

I've read about this somewhere, isn't the idea that a somewhat basic
station
is prefabricated off site and delivered on a few lorries? Possibly
they've
looked back at some of the 'el cheapo' stations in the region -
Berrylands
on the SWML looks as though it was knocked up pretty quickly...

Paul

The interesting thing is that the line is on a slight curve at this
point, and i thought stations built on curves were now a big no no?!!
Berrylands went up in the 1930s and i dont think took too long!

I thought they worry more about excess gradients, but would expect there is
some small amount of curvature that is legit on existing lines?

Paul

Old October 6th 07, 09:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 13:59:03 +0100, Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastfields_railway_station

- says that a previous station on the site closed in the 1930s!

As a rail enthusiast who grew up in North Mitcham, I'm pretty sure that this
is not the case, and there has never been a passenger station in the area.

Then please correct the article! Anyone can edit Wikipedia.

I have added a [citation needed] tag.

--
jhk
Old October 6th 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 5 Oct, 13:16, Standing at HN28 signal
wrote:
Hi all, there has been talk for some years that a station would be
built near to Eastfields Level Crossing (between Streatham North
Junction and Mitcham Junction for those not in the know) but I wasn't
aware anything was approved. However, driving past the other day I
notice a lot of clearance work going on, and have to wonder if this
means something is actually happening about it. Does anyone know more?

Yes, the station is going ahead.
Here's the press release from Merton Council.
http://www.merton.gov.uk/press-relea...ls.asp?id=1587

"It will provide a direct rail link to London Victoria with at least
two trains per hour stopping in each direction, and is only a 10
minutes walk from Mitcham town centre.

The new station, with its modular and contemporary design making use
of renewable energy sources, will be the first of its kind in the
country. This modular 'prefab' design means that the station could be
built and operational by the end of the year, as new components can be
delivered from a depot and slotted into place on site."

Old October 6th 07, 10:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

The station is part of a new concept station for Network Rail and they
decided to use Eastfields to test it out.

I've read about this somewhere, isn't the idea that a somewhat basic
station is prefabricated off site and delivered on a few lorries?

That's mentioned in the DfT's super long-range rail future planning
whatnot whitepaper. I didn't realise it was actually going to happen,
though!

tom

--
Finals make a man mean; let's fusc up and write!
Old October 6th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

.li...

wrote in message
oups.com...

The station is part of a new concept station for Network Rail and they
decided to use Eastfields to test it out.

I've read about this somewhere, isn't the idea that a somewhat basic
station is prefabricated off site and delivered on a few lorries?

That's mentioned in the DfT's super long-range rail future planning
whatnot whitepaper. I didn't realise it was actually going to happen,
though!

tom

--
Finals make a man mean; let's fusc up and write!

That'll be similar to the new concept of prefabricated stations developed by
the Southern during the 1930s then? Cast concrete platform supports,
platform slabs, fencing and even lamp posts and footbridges, made at their
own precasting works at Exmouth Junction were delivered by rail to site.
Such components may still be found in use today at stations such as Malden
Manor.
Brian

Old October 6th 07, 11:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 6 Oct, 11:23, "BH Williams" wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

.li...

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Brian- Hide quoted text -

Amusingly nobody at Southern has told any of the drivers or guards or
anyone for that matter! I hope they know its being built!!!

Old October 6th 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Standing at HN28 signal" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 6 Oct, 11:23, "BH Williams" wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

.li...

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

I was told of the new station being built there when I worked on the Central
Division.
It was 1981 though.

Old October 8th 07, 09:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I drove over it a few days ago and wondered what they were building so
close to the railway. That'll be the station then.

Once upon a time, many moons ago, when I was a lad, I was enjoying a
footplate ride in a 4 SUB going over the crossing. There was a signal
box controlling the crossing then. The signal man did something stupid
with the signals - not sure what - so the driver stopped the SUB (on the
crossing) so he could shout a load of abuse at him. Those were the