Old November 4th 03, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
umpston umpston is offline

Default Oyster Pre-Pay (again)

Kat wrote in message ...
In message , J. Public
writes
Sorry about another oyster question. Am I right in thinking that oyster
pre-pay will work out the best value ticket (even retrospectively) for you:
e.g. if you take 10 tube and bus journeys in a single day, it will charge
you for a travelcard instead of the singles, or perhaps if you used enough
to warrant a weekly travelcard, the same would happen.

I think I remember this being the case, but wasn't certain.

It will certainly charge you for a Peak or Off-peak Travel Card if that
works out to be the cheaper option for a day's travel.
I can't see how it might work for a Seven Day Travel Card; it would it
have to work out which consecutive seven days to look at.
I don't remember that being mentioned during the training but I'll do my
best to find out for you.

http://www.oystercard.com/sub2_get_tickets2.php makes no mention of
daily travelcards being charged in this way for non-season ticket
customers but says:

[quote] Daily tickets
All tickets valid for less than 7 days, will continue to be available
on paper. Later we'll be launching an exciting new pay-as-you-go
product exclusive to Oyster called Pre Pay. This will be ideal for
those of you who travel regularly but do not buy a season ticket.
We'll be telling you a great deal more about this soon. [End Quote]

This implies that the 'exciting' new product will be some other form
of discounted travel - not the same as a 1-day travelcard. Since the
1-day travelcard will remain available on paper and since the
'exciting' thing (whatever it is) will be 'exclusive to oyster' - they
cannot be the same.