Old November 3rd 03, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Pre-Pay (again)

Hi Folks.

Sorry about another oyster question. Am I right in thinking that oyster
pre-pay will work out the best value ticket (even retrospectively) for you:
e.g. if you take 10 tube and bus journeys in a single day, it will charge
you for a travelcard instead of the singles, or perhaps if you used enough
to warrant a weekly travelcard, the same would happen.

I think I remember this being the case, but wasn't certain.

JP

Old November 3rd 03, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , J. Public
writes
Sorry about another oyster question. Am I right in thinking that oyster
pre-pay will work out the best value ticket (even retrospectively) for you:
e.g. if you take 10 tube and bus journeys in a single day, it will charge
you for a travelcard instead of the singles, or perhaps if you used enough
to warrant a weekly travelcard, the same would happen.

I think I remember this being the case, but wasn't certain.

It will certainly charge you for a Peak or Off-peak Travel Card if that
works out to be the cheaper option for a day's travel.
I can't see how it might work for a Seven Day Travel Card; it would it
have to work out which consecutive seven days to look at.
I don't remember that being mentioned during the training but I'll do my
best to find out for you.
--
Kat

Old November 4th 03, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:17:14 +0000, Kat wrote:

It will certainly charge you for a Peak or Off-peak Travel Card if that
works out to be the cheaper option for a day's travel.
I can't see how it might work for a Seven Day Travel Card;

Aren't off-peak travecards cheaper that a season ticket anyway?
Old November 4th 03, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote in message ...
In message , J. Public
writes
Sorry about another oyster question. Am I right in thinking that oyster
pre-pay will work out the best value ticket (even retrospectively) for you:
e.g. if you take 10 tube and bus journeys in a single day, it will charge
you for a travelcard instead of the singles, or perhaps if you used enough
to warrant a weekly travelcard, the same would happen.

I think I remember this being the case, but wasn't certain.

It will certainly charge you for a Peak or Off-peak Travel Card if that
works out to be the cheaper option for a day's travel.
I can't see how it might work for a Seven Day Travel Card; it would it
have to work out which consecutive seven days to look at.
I don't remember that being mentioned during the training but I'll do my
best to find out for you.

http://www.oystercard.com/sub2_get_tickets2.php makes no mention of
daily travelcards being charged in this way for non-season ticket
customers but says:

[quote] Daily tickets
All tickets valid for less than 7 days, will continue to be available
on paper. Later we'll be launching an exciting new pay-as-you-go
product exclusive to Oyster called Pre Pay. This will be ideal for
those of you who travel regularly but do not buy a season ticket.
We'll be telling you a great deal more about this soon. [End Quote]

This implies that the 'exciting' new product will be some other form
of discounted travel - not the same as a 1-day travelcard. Since the
1-day travelcard will remain available on paper and since the
'exciting' thing (whatever it is) will be 'exclusive to oyster' - they
cannot be the same.
Old November 4th 03, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , umpston
writes
Kat wrote in message
In message , J. Public
writes
[...]

Sorry to disillusion you but it only implies that the exciting new
product is the Pre Pay Oyster card itself.
In fact the Travel Card that the Oyster card will charge you for after
the requisite cost of journeys will be the equivalent of an LT card and
not a T/C (which will still be available on paper)
--
Kat

Old November 5th 03, 01:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote in message ...

[...]

I'm far from disillusioned Kat, reassured more like! Your news sounds
good to me. The fact that the 'daily tickets' page (as quoted above)
of the oystercard.com site does not mention the 1-day travelcard or
LT-card was in fact making me worried that these tickets might not be
available on a 1-day basis via oyster. It therefore must be
inaccurate marketing guff since 'exclusive to Oyster' certainly does
imply that the 'exciting new product' is something other than the
Oystercard itself (the fact that an Oystercard is exclusive to Oyster
ought to be self-evident!). Good to hear the truth from one who
knows.
Old November 5th 03, 01:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Sorry to disillusion you but it only implies that the exciting new
product is the Pre Pay Oyster card itself.
In fact the Travel Card that the Oyster card will charge you for after
the requisite cost of journeys will be the equivalent of an LT card and
not a T/C (which will still be available on paper)

Apparently it will extended soon after launch to cover the North
London Line and the South London metro.
Old November 5th 03, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , umpston
writes
I'm far from disillusioned Kat, reassured more like! Your news sounds
good to me. The fact that the 'daily tickets' page (as quoted above)
of the oystercard.com site does not mention the 1-day travelcard or
LT-card was in fact making me worried that these tickets might not be
available on a 1-day basis via oyster. It therefore must be
inaccurate marketing guff since 'exclusive to Oyster' certainly does
imply that the 'exciting new product' is something other than the
Oystercard itself (the fact that an Oystercard is exclusive to Oyster
ought to be self-evident!). Good to hear the truth from one who
knows.

Good :-)
I think Oyster is excellent;it will make my job safer.
--
Kat