Old November 6th 07, 05:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default London Overground from 11 Nov 2007

"umpston" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 5:53 pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Ianigsy" wrote

This is the sort of thing which puts me off having one- to put things
into perspective, I live in Yorkshire and travel down to London
probably twice a year on average. I like the idea of not having to
queue at Kings Cross for a Travelcard (especially as Trainline et al
only seem to be able to sell Z1-2 ones as add-ons) and buy another one
every morning. Trouble is, when I come down in about ten days' time,
I may need to go to Walthamstow on the Sunday and the Victoria Line's
closed, so I'll have to use One from Liverpool Street instead- so I'll
presumably need a paper one that day and half the object of getting
one is defeated.

Liverpool Street - Walthamstow Central is one (no pun intended) of the
National Rail routes on which Oyster PAYG is already accepted (though

not at
intermediate

stations).http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/5823.aspx
Peter

It occurs to me that the 'Overground' network branding would make more
sense if it consisted of all non-LUL lines where Oyster PAYG is
accepted. This would be much easier for visitors to London (and
residents for that matter) to understand.

It would, but it would still be horrendously complicated, as there are
several routes where Oyster PAYG is accepted between specified points, but
not at intermediate stations.
As it is, if you have to make several journeys by bus and/or tube in a day,
Oyster PAYG is what you want, but add just one National Rail journey on
which Oyster PAYG is not accepted, and you need a paper ODTC - but if you
hold a Railcard you may want the paper ODTC anyway (but only at weekends if
it is a Network Card), even if you are not going to use National Rail.
Peter