Old November 7th 07, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Newbie Oyster Question

"CNS" wrote in message
.99...
Spent a day visiting London last week, so decided to try using the Oyster
Card. I sent a topup of £5 to be credited when getting the Tube at
Waterloo. The day's journeys are now showing on the website & I notice
that there are a number of £4 charges when entering Waterloo, Arsenal &
Baker ST tubes. Can anyone let me know why? may it have been down to me
not
touching in & out correctly? After topping up do I need to touch in twice?
as the £4 charges seem to be after a topup?

16:31 Waterloo (Jubilee Line Entrance) Exit £2.80 £2.91
16:14 Baker Street Entry £4.00 £0.11
16:14 Baker Street Top-up £2.00 £4.11
16:00 Bus 274 Entry £0.90 £2.11
13:26 Regents Park Exit £2.00 £3.01
13:01 Arsenal Entry £4.00 £1.01
12:59 Arsenal Top-up £2.00 £5.01
10:12 Arsenal Exit £2.00 £3.01
09:54 Holborn Entry £2.50 £1.01
09:19 Holborn Exit £2.50 £3.51
08:50 Waterloo (Bkloo, Nthn, W&C Lines) Entry £4.00 £1.01
08:50 Waterloo (Bkloo, Nthn, W&C Lines) Top-up £5.00 £5.01

Basically, every time you commence a PAYG journey on the tube (Entry), they
deduct a sort of deposit of £4.00, (its called a 'maximum cash fare' in the
leaflets), and then when you exit they pay it back less the journey cost.
Its to make sure you remember to touch in and out correctly. When Oyster
first started people discovered they could touch in in zone 1, then if they
left the system without touching out, they would have an unresolved journey,
which they would then explain to a ticket office was all in zone 1...

[It explains why PAYG isn't likely to happen on NR outside of certain
defined areas such as London, cos the deposit required to deal with the
longest possible journeys would have to run into hudreds of pounds]

Paul S