Old November 7th 07, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CNS CNS is offline

Default Newbie Oyster Question

Spent a day visiting London last week, so decided to try using the Oyster
Card. I sent a topup of £5 to be credited when getting the Tube at
Waterloo. The day's journeys are now showing on the website & I notice
that there are a number of £4 charges when entering Waterloo, Arsenal &
Baker ST tubes. Can anyone let me know why? may it have been down to me not
touching in & out correctly? After topping up do I need to touch in twice?
as the £4 charges seem to be after a topup?

16:31 Waterloo (Jubilee Line Entrance) Exit £2.80 £2.91
16:14 Baker Street Entry £4.00 £0.11
16:14 Baker Street Top-up £2.00 £4.11
16:00 Bus 274 Entry £0.90 £2.11
13:26 Regents Park Exit £2.00 £3.01
13:01 Arsenal Entry £4.00 £1.01
12:59 Arsenal Top-up £2.00 £5.01
10:12 Arsenal Exit £2.00 £3.01
09:54 Holborn Entry £2.50 £1.01
09:19 Holborn Exit £2.50 £3.51
08:50 Waterloo (Bkloo, Nthn, W&C Lines) Entry £4.00 £1.01
08:50 Waterloo (Bkloo, Nthn, W&C Lines) Top-up £5.00 £5.01

CNS
An out of towner!!
Remove the deadfish to reply by email

Old November 7th 07, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CNS" wrote in message
.99...
[...]

Basically, every time you commence a PAYG journey on the tube (Entry), they
deduct a sort of deposit of £4.00, (its called a 'maximum cash fare' in the
leaflets), and then when you exit they pay it back less the journey cost.
Its to make sure you remember to touch in and out correctly. When Oyster
first started people discovered they could touch in in zone 1, then if they
left the system without touching out, they would have an unresolved journey,
which they would then explain to a ticket office was all in zone 1...

[It explains why PAYG isn't likely to happen on NR outside of certain
defined areas such as London, cos the deposit required to deal with the
longest possible journeys would have to run into hudreds of pounds]

Paul S

Old November 7th 07, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Nov, 18:48, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"CNS" wrote in message

[...]

Or not deal with a ticket office at all - despite the on-screen
messages on the Oyster ticket machines nothing happened if an
unresolved journey was left unresolved (a fact discovered by the
failure of myself and a friend to touch-out after an evening of
magnificent alcoholic excess - they got it 'resolved' at a ticket
office the next day, but when I tried to do the same later on the
ticket office clerk said not to worry about it, as the unresolved
journey would disappear after a while). Of course things have now
changed and this potential loophole has been closed with the
introduction of the £4 'penalty' for failing to touch-in or touch-out.

Old November 7th 07, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CNS CNS is offline

Mizter T wrote in
oups.com:

&
[...]

Thanks both of you, I can see this now, what it would make it easier to
following if the credits had a "-" in front of the amount, but.........

Why was it when I entered Holbourn at 9:54 it took £2.50, not £4?
Does this mean I have to have a minimum balance on the Oyster of £4
before starting a journey.

Thanks also for the reason why "Oyster" is unlikey to be implemented on
the National Rail system due to the large "deposit" that would be
required, shame really after my first experience I thought it was a
great system & good it would be if implemented wider.

CNS
Old November 7th 07, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

CNS wrote:

16:31 Waterloo (Jubilee Line Entrance) Exit £2.80 £2.91
16:14 Baker Street Entry £4.00 £0.11
16:14 Baker Street Top-up £2.00 £4.11
16:00 Bus 274 Entry £0.90 £2.11
13:26 Regents Park Exit £2.00 £3.01
13:01 Arsenal Entry £4.00 £1.01
12:59 Arsenal Top-up £2.00 £5.01
10:12 Arsenal Exit £2.00 £3.01
09:54 Holborn Entry £2.50 £1.01
09:19 Holborn Exit £2.50 £3.51
08:50 Waterloo (Bkloo, Nthn, W&C Lines) Entry £4.00 £1.01
08:50 Waterloo (Bkloo, Nthn, W&C Lines) Top-up £5.00 £5.01

Why was it when I entered Holbourn at 9:54 it took £2.50, not £4?
Does this mean I have to have a minimum balance on the Oyster of £4
before starting a journey.

What seems to have happened here is that you were regarded as
re-starting the journey which you first started at Waterloo. The system
took back the £2.50 that it had refunded you on leaving Holborn 35
minutes earlier and then on leaving Arsenal you were refunded £2,
meaning that you had paid £2 for a Waterloo to Arsenal journey.

--
Bob

Old November 8th 07, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

What seems to have happened here is that you were regarded as
re-starting the journey which you first started at Waterloo. The system
took back the £2.50 that it had refunded you on leaving Holborn 35
minutes earlier and then on leaving Arsenal you were refunded £2,
meaning that you had paid £2 for a Waterloo to Arsenal journey.

But why? Is Holborn an out-of-station-interchange?

If the original poster had made just a slightly longer second journey he
would have been charged an extra 8 Pound.

What is the current situation in such issues? Is it now possible to
resolve incorrect deductions with a visitor-oyster or an unregistered
oyster?

Martin