Old November 19th 07, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Oyster Prepay on W&C question.

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message

Anybody know why there are no barriers at Waterloo? I though the
challenge was Bank? (Which now has barriers.)

Not enough room for a barrier line to cope with the numbers going directly
from the subway under the mainline platforms to the W&C, and not enough
space to connect the W&C to the Northern/Bakerloo ticket hall paid side, I
should think...

I wonder what they will do about it when NR gates Waterloo main line
platforms?

I'd only previously made the journey in the opposite direction.

At Waterloo, you come out through the barriers, and then there's a huge
crowd of people trying to go down a short flight of steps directly onto
the W&C platform, and at the top of the steps, if you can reach through
the bodies, is a validator.

I'm not worried about being fined as I touched in, touched out, touched in
again and then touched out again.

My concern is that I'll be charged for two journeys just for trying to do
the right thing.

Two reasons why you wouldn't be - firstly the barriers are likely set to
allow an 'out of station interchange' - the easiest to explain example is
Hammersmith, where you have to cross the road between H&C and Picc/District.
Secondly, there is a time (known to the Oyster software but not publicised)
that allows a touch out followed (say up to 15min later) by a 'touch in' to
automatically become a continuation of the same journey.

Paul