Old November 19th 07, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Prepay on W&C question.

This morning the Northern Line Bank branch wasn't running and trains
(including mine) were being diverted via C+.

So, I figured the fastest way for me to get to Liverpool would probably
(just) be to get off at Waterloo, and get the W&C to Bank.

I have a prepay oyster, and was required to touch out when changing at
Waterloo, which I did. On the way down to the W&C platforms there was
another validator, so I touched in again.

Then when I got to Liverpool St, I touched out as usual.

So... did I do the right thing? And will I be charged correctly for my usual
journey, or will it count as two because of the retarded barrier
arrangements at Waterloo?

BTN

Old November 19th 07, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:
This morning the Northern Line Bank branch wasn't running and trains
(including mine) were being diverted via C+.

So, I figured the fastest way for me to get to Liverpool would probably
(just) be to get off at Waterloo, and get the W&C to Bank.

I have a prepay oyster, and was required to touch out when changing at
Waterloo, which I did. On the way down to the W&C platforms there was
another validator, so I touched in again.

Then when I got to Liverpool St, I touched out as usual.

So... did I do the right thing? And will I be charged correctly for my usual
journey, or will it count as two because of the retarded barrier
arrangements at Waterloo?

Anybody know why there are no barriers at Waterloo? I though the
challenge was Bank? (Which now has barriers.)

Importantly, with these stupid validators (ie. at Bank DLR), is it safe
to touch at least one barrier at each station - or is there a risk of
ending a journey and being fined (or failing to start a journey).

Tony
Old November 19th 07, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tony Chung" hotmaildotcom@tonydotchungdotmsn wrote in message
Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:
This morning the Northern Line Bank branch wasn't running and trains
(including mine) were being diverted via C+.

So, I figured the fastest way for me to get to Liverpool would probably
(just) be to get off at Waterloo, and get the W&C to Bank.

I have a prepay oyster, and was required to touch out when changing at
Waterloo, which I did. On the way down to the W&C platforms there was
another validator, so I touched in again.

Then when I got to Liverpool St, I touched out as usual.

So... did I do the right thing? And will I be charged correctly for my
usual journey, or will it count as two because of the retarded barrier
arrangements at Waterloo?

Anybody know why there are no barriers at Waterloo? I though the challenge
was Bank? (Which now has barriers.)

I'd only previously made the journey in the opposite direction.

At Waterloo, you come out through the barriers, and then there's a huge
crowd of people trying to go down a short flight of steps directly onto the
W&C platform, and at the top of the steps, if you can reach through the
bodies, is a validator.

Importantly, with these stupid validators (ie. at Bank DLR), is it safe to
touch at least one barrier at each station - or is there a risk of ending
a journey and being fined (or failing to start a journey).

I'm not worried about being fined as I touched in, touched out, touched in
again and then touched out again.

My concern is that I'll be charged for two journeys just for trying to do
the right thing.

Old November 19th 07, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message

Anybody know why there are no barriers at Waterloo? I though the
challenge was Bank? (Which now has barriers.)

Not enough room for a barrier line to cope with the numbers going directly
from the subway under the mainline platforms to the W&C, and not enough
space to connect the W&C to the Northern/Bakerloo ticket hall paid side, I
should think...

I wonder what they will do about it when NR gates Waterloo main line
platforms?

I'd only previously made the journey in the opposite direction.

At Waterloo, you come out through the barriers, and then there's a huge
crowd of people trying to go down a short flight of steps directly onto
the W&C platform, and at the top of the steps, if you can reach through
the bodies, is a validator.

I'm not worried about being fined as I touched in, touched out, touched in
again and then touched out again.

My concern is that I'll be charged for two journeys just for trying to do
the right thing.

Two reasons why you wouldn't be - firstly the barriers are likely set to
allow an 'out of station interchange' - the easiest to explain example is
Hammersmith, where you have to cross the road between H&C and Picc/District.
Secondly, there is a time (known to the Oyster software but not publicised)
that allows a touch out followed (say up to 15min later) by a 'touch in' to
automatically become a continuation of the same journey.

Paul

Old November 19th 07, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:21:36 -0000, Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:

So... did I do the right thing? And will I be charged correctly for my usual
journey, or will it count as two because of the retarded barrier
arrangements at Waterloo?

You can check your journey history at any LU touch-screen ticket
machine. (It might also be appreciated if you report your findings
back to the group.)

Old November 19th 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:

This morning the Northern Line Bank branch wasn't running and trains
(including mine) were being diverted via C+.

So, I figured the fastest way for me to get to Liverpool would
probably (just) be to get off at Waterloo, and get the W&C to Bank.

If it was Liverpool you wanted, wouldn't it have been better to stay on
the CX branch train to Euston?
;-)

--
Bob