Old November 20th 07, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Walthamstow Central

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:40:34 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

Walthamstow Central tube is closed this Saturday and the Vic line is
closed Sunday. Having pondered the reason why I asked this evening as to
whether the subway link was due to open. The worksite looks perilously
close to "break through" of the final bits of the wall.

And having used Walthamstow this evening I can confirm that both the
ticket office and the subway link are open.

The office protrudes a little into the ticket hall but has a full glass
frontage with some side panes mirrored. The window is designed to serve
both sides of the gateline which has been realigned with the manual gate
back by the office.

The link subway is open and you descend about 8 steps into the subway. A
Multi fare and 2 advanced fare machines (converted few fares) are in the
new POM enclosure. Half away along the subway are automatic fire doors.
You then face a mountain range of steps up into the bus station! At
present the r/h side walkway to the lift is caged off - this is no
surprise given the upper landing is behind hoardings as well. Once up
the stairs you step out into the bus station without getting wet - much
appreciated today. Much less conflict between pedestrians and buses at
the bus station exit which is a blessing. It's also possible to walk
under cover from almost the high street right to the Liverpool St
platforms for "one" services which I think people will find very
convenient.

There were porters provided at both ends of the subway link - presumably
to assist those laden with bags or pushchairs / buggies. What I could
not tell was whether there is a mini lift at the ticket hall end of the
subway or not.

Nice to see it almost finished - just the lift to go.

--
Paul C