Old December 16th 07, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Who sets Day Travelcard fares from outside London?

When I started working (part time) in London in 2001 an off-peak Day
Travelcard from Cambridge cost just 60p more (with Network Card discount)
than a cheap day return to London Terminals. I guess the difference
without railcard discount was 90p.

That differential has risen steadily. In 2007 the undiscounted cheap day
return and off-peak Day Travelcard fares are £18 and £22.50 respectively,
a difference now of £4.50, five times as much as 6 years ago. For
railcard users the difference now is £3.30, five and half times as much
as 60p!

From January, FCC tell me, the CDR remains at £18 while the off-peak Day
Travelcard increases to £24, widening the difference to £6, or £3.95 with
railcard discount. Meanwhile the Peak Travelcard goes up from £34.50 to
£36, the same increase in cash but a £1 less of a margin because the SDR
goes up from £28 to £29.

I went on a day trip to Putney yesterday with my wife and baby
granddaughter. We bought off-peak Day Travelcards although I (but not my
wife) have an Oyster card. this was because it seemed worth it for the
convenience despite likely costing me 30p more. In the end I realised at
King's Cross that the District line was suspended South of Putney Bridge
so we went via Vauxhall and SWT and needed the OPDTs anyway. But next
year that 30p will become £1.45 so a rather more expensive luxury for the
convenience.

So who sets these TfL add-on margins? I ask because the CDR/OPDT margin
from January will force most day trippers to use Oyster instead if they
don't want to be fleeced.

--
Colin Rosenstiel