Old January 22nd 08, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default 42 - Liverpool Street answer

In message
of
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:26:25 in uk.transport.london, Mizter T
writes
On 21 Jan, 13:57, Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message of Wed, 16 Jan 2008
17:43:00 in uk.transport.london, Paul Scott
wrote questioning the number of
gateline gates at Liverpool St (sic - the station name is Liverpool
Street).

That is pedantry of the highest order! Using similar logic, one could
well turn round and say that one should in fact state the name of the
station as "Liverpool Street station", so as to avoid confusion with
the street from which the station takes its name.

You are probably right about the pedantry. I failed to find the message
by searching for "Liverpool Street". I should probably have thought
about the abbreviation. Perhaps I should search for "Finchley R".
Talking about pedantry, I did not realise until recently that Edgeware
is not correctly spelled.

[snipped micturate usage]

I read that first time round and thought you had misspelled
matriculate! Anyway, that's a new word for my book. Of course Mr

I preferred to avoid the vulgar usage at the cost of pomposity.

[snip]

I thought I would try to construct a list of London Underground station
addresses for this purpose.

Two unofficial websites might help here...

Tubeplanner's Station Information:
http://www.tubeplanner.com/station/

Info Transport's Rail Station Database:
http://www.infotransport.co.uk/trains/select

Those mind some of the gaps.

The latter has details of stations across London and the South East
(though I can say with certainty that at least one is missing!).

I'll bite. Which?

[snip]

The Royal Mail postcode finder might also possibly be of help:
http://postcode.royalmail.com

I use a site with similar functionality without the unfriendliness. I
fear to advertise it as my usage is probably not what is intended.

[snip]

Additionally when it comes to such figures one must bear in mind that
the East London Line is no longer part of the LU empire.

I wish they would stop cluttering PA to tell us about it.

DLR does not explain it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Light_Railway says "The DLR
system is undergoing continuing expansion, with currently 39 stations"
without a citation for that 39. I can't be bothered to count to check.

And if you can't be bothered then neither can I - you're not
subcontracting such work to others quite so easily, especially as the
rate of remuneration on offer is so poor!

Fairy nuf

[snip]

Vauxhall does indeed have three escalators.

There is a move to reduce station clutter. Many platform 'phones seem to
have disappeared. Photo Booths are also endangered - Moorgate is shown
as having 2. It currently has none.

They're endangered for the simple reason that no-one is using them!
But yes, at stations I have also noted several wall mounted phone
booths that now no longer sport any payphones.

Have you a source for that assertion?
Farringdon has 2 in the ticket hall but JP says 10; Baker Street is too
big for me to count - has some in the main split-level ticket hall - but
37 seems implausible; Marylebone has lost the 2 from its platforms.

[snip]

The Straphanger's Guide to the Underground?

What a cracking title!
Sadly (possibly), handrails seem to have all but replaced haners.

--
Walter Briscoe