Old January 21st 08, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 42 - Liverpool Street answer

In message of Wed, 16 Jan 2008
17:43:00 in uk.transport.london, Paul Scott
wrote questioning the number of
gateline gates at Liverpool St (sic - the station name is Liverpool
Street).

I recently found myself outside Chalk Farm needing to micturate.
J.D.Wetherspoons provides adequate toilets and coffee and has a web site
where one can search for the nearest shop to a specified post code.

I thought I would try to construct a list of London Underground station
addresses for this purpose.
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/default.asp?type=tube contains
an alphabetic list with a few quirks: Kings Cross (sic) and 1 each of
Edgware Road & Shepherds Bush, etc.
It suggests there are 253 London Underground stations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_underground says "The Underground
has 276 stations and runs over 243 miles (408 km) of line" citing
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/modesoftransport/londonunderground/1608.aspx
as an authority where 275 is the number shown today.
Can anyone here explain TfL's 275 figure?
DLR does not explain it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Light_Railway says "The DLR
system is undergoing continuing expansion, with currently 39 stations"
without a citation for that 39. I can't be bothered to count to check.

I found addresses for most of the stations by feeding "London
Underground" into an address translator I regularly use.

I then struck 22 carat gold in the Journey Planner
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Select a Tube journey such as from Aldgate to Liverpool Street.
View it and click on "Liverpool Street Underground Station" to arrive at
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...guage=en&type=
stop&id=1000138&itdLPxx_sessionID=JP09_13099587&it dLPxx_requestID=1&comma
nd=nop. [That URL works across a reboot. I don't know if it is further
portable or can be shortened.]
There it says (inter alia): "Gates 42".

I think the answer is 52: 12 at Old Broad Street and 20 each in the
Metropolitan and Central Line ticket halls.

The page for Liverpool Street is typical but the data is not consistent.
St. James's Park is said to be at "Petty France London SW1" and no
details are given - "55 Broadway, LONDON, SW1H 0BD" serves.
There is no information for the following (and possibly others): Epping;
Harrow & Wealdstone; Hendon Central; Ickenham; Kenton; Kew Gardens;
King's Cross St. Pancras; North Wembley; Richmond; Shepherd's Bush
(Hammersmith & City); South Kenton; Southfields; Wembley Central and
Willesden Junction.

The information is undated and to be taken with sodium chloride.
Wood Green quotes the non-working post code N22 4HH. N22 8HH serves my
pub-finding purpose. Vauxhall is said to have 2 escalators; I think I
saw 3 yesterday. http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/vdetails.html seems
to confirm my thought.

There is a move to reduce station clutter. Many platform 'phones seem to
have disappeared. Photo Booths are also endangered - Moorgate is shown
as having 2. It currently has none.

I hope this rather long posting is of interest - the allusion to "The
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is intentional.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old January 22nd 08, 04:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 21, 1:57 pm, Walter Briscoe
wrote:
In message of Wed, 16 Jan 2008
17:43:00 in uk.transport.london, Paul Scott

There it says (inter alia): "Gates 42".

Did you know that ticket gates are numbered from 40 upwards?
Old January 22nd 08, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Jan, 13:57, Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message of Wed, 16 Jan 2008
17:43:00 in uk.transport.london, Paul Scott
wrote questioning the number of
gateline gates at Liverpool St (sic - the station name is Liverpool
Street).

That is pedantry of the highest order! Using similar logic, one could
well turn round and say that one should in fact state the name of the
station as "Liverpool Street station", so as to avoid confusion with
the street from which the station takes its name.

I recently found myself outside Chalk Farm needing to micturate.
J.D.Wetherspoons provides adequate toilets and coffee and has a web site
where one can search for the nearest shop to a specified post code.

I read that first time round and thought you had misspelled
matriculate! Anyway, that's a new word for my book. Of course Mr
McDonald and Mr King's exotic food outlets also contain such
facilities, as do many supermarkets (though not their convenience
cousins).

I thought I would try to construct a list of London Underground station
addresses for this purpose.

Two unofficial websites might help here...

Tubeplanner's Station Information:
http://www.tubeplanner.com/station/

Info Transport's Rail Station Database:
http://www.infotransport.co.uk/trains/select

The latter has details of stations across London and the South East
(though I can say with certainty that at least one is missing!).

Neither website appears to be maintained or updated any more so the
information could well be out of date - but they do provide station
addresses and postcodes. Though I do have a vague memory that some of
the given addresses might not be quite right.

The Royal Mail postcode finder might also possibly be of help:
http://postcode.royalmail.com

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/default.asp?type=tube contains
an alphabetic list with a few quirks: Kings Cross (sic) and 1 each of
Edgware Road & Shepherds Bush, etc.
It suggests there are 253 London Underground stations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_underground says "The Underground
has 276 stations and runs over 243 miles (408 km) of line" citing
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/modesoftransport/londonunderground/16...
as an authority where 275 is the number shown today.
Can anyone here explain TfL's 275 figure?

Perhaps the difference is between stations managed by LU, and stations
served by LU - i.e. Richmond and Wimbledon are SWT stations, yet are
served by the Underground.

Additionally when it comes to such figures one must bear in mind that
the East London Line is no longer part of the LU empire.

DLR does not explain it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Light_Railway says "The DLR
system is undergoing continuing expansion, with currently 39 stations"
without a citation for that 39. I can't be bothered to count to check.

And if you can't be bothered then neither can I - you're not
subcontracting such work to others quite so easily, especially as the
rate of remuneration on offer is so poor!

[...]

Vauxhall does indeed have three escalators.

There is a move to reduce station clutter. Many platform 'phones seem to
have disappeared. Photo Booths are also endangered - Moorgate is shown
as having 2. It currently has none.

They're endangered for the simple reason that no-one is using them!
But yes, at stations I have also noted several wall mounted phone
booths that now no longer sport any payphones.

I hope this rather long posting is of interest - the allusion to "The
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is intentional.
--
Walter Briscoe

The Straphanger's Guide to the Underground?
Old January 22nd 08, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
of
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:26:25 in uk.transport.london, Mizter T
writes
On 21 Jan, 13:57, Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message of Wed, 16 Jan 2008
17:43:00 in uk.transport.london, Paul Scott
wrote questioning the number of
gateline gates at Liverpool St (sic - the station name is Liverpool
Street).

That is pedantry of the highest order! Using similar logic, one could
well turn round and say that one should in fact state the name of the
station as "Liverpool Street station", so as to avoid confusion with
the street from which the station takes its name.

You are probably right about the pedantry. I failed to find the message
by searching for "Liverpool Street". I should probably have thought
about the abbreviation. Perhaps I should search for "Finchley R".
Talking about pedantry, I did not realise until recently that Edgeware
is not correctly spelled.

[snipped micturate usage]

I read that first time round and thought you had misspelled
matriculate! Anyway, that's a new word for my book. Of course Mr

I preferred to avoid the vulgar usage at the cost of pomposity.

[snip]

I thought I would try to construct a list of London Underground station
addresses for this purpose.

Two unofficial websites might help here...

Tubeplanner's Station Information:
http://www.tubeplanner.com/station/

Info Transport's Rail Station Database:
http://www.infotransport.co.uk/trains/select

Those mind some of the gaps.

The latter has details of stations across London and the South East
(though I can say with certainty that at least one is missing!).

I'll bite. Which?

[snip]

The Royal Mail postcode finder might also possibly be of help:
http://postcode.royalmail.com

I use a site with similar functionality without the unfriendliness. I
fear to advertise it as my usage is probably not what is intended.

[snip]

Additionally when it comes to such figures one must bear in mind that
the East London Line is no longer part of the LU empire.

I wish they would stop cluttering PA to tell us about it.

DLR does not explain it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Light_Railway says "The DLR
system is undergoing continuing expansion, with currently 39 stations"
without a citation for that 39. I can't be bothered to count to check.

And if you can't be bothered then neither can I - you're not
subcontracting such work to others quite so easily, especially as the
rate of remuneration on offer is so poor!

Fairy nuf

[snip]

Vauxhall does indeed have three escalators.

There is a move to reduce station clutter. Many platform 'phones seem to
have disappeared. Photo Booths are also endangered - Moorgate is shown
as having 2. It currently has none.

They're endangered for the simple reason that no-one is using them!
But yes, at stations I have also noted several wall mounted phone
booths that now no longer sport any payphones.

Have you a source for that assertion?
Farringdon has 2 in the ticket hall but JP says 10; Baker Street is too
big for me to count - has some in the main split-level ticket hall - but
37 seems implausible; Marylebone has lost the 2 from its platforms.

[snip]

The Straphanger's Guide to the Underground?

What a cracking title!
Sadly (possibly), handrails seem to have all but replaced haners.

--
Walter Briscoe
Old January 22nd 08, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
of
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:20:38 in uk.transport.london, Offramp
writes
wrote:
In message of Wed, 16 Jan 2008
17:43:00 in uk.transport.london, Paul Scott

There it says (inter alia): "Gates 42".

Did you know that ticket gates are numbered from 40 upwards?

No! It does seem plausible. Exit gate 49 at Moorgate has had a failed
display for months and lacks a label to report the problem. It matters
when the system quietly charges for unstarted journeys.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old January 22nd 08, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message
of
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:26:25 in uk.transport.london, Mizter T

The Straphanger's Guide to the Underground?

What a cracking title!

To be followed up with "The straphanger's guide to INXS".

Old January 22nd 08, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe wrote

The Royal Mail postcode finder might also possibly be of help:
http://postcode.royalmail.com

I use a site with similar functionality without the unfriendliness. I

fear to advertise it as my usage is probably not what is intended.

http://www.ukphonebook.com has telephone white pages and address/post
code lookup (offshoot of 118 080, limited number of free full lookups
per day)

and http://www.deformedweb.co.uk/trigs/coordinates.html
converts to/from OS grid references Postcodes, Lat long, telephone
dialling codes etc.
so you can always get a postcode to use with a travel planner website
or SatNav unit.

--
Mike D

Old January 27th 08, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Mon, 21 Jan 2008
13:57:08 in uk.transport.london, Walter Briscoe
writes

[snipped story about finding London Underground station addresses.]

I then struck 22 carat gold in the Journey Planner
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Select a Tube journey such as from Aldgate to Liverpool Street.
View it and click on "Liverpool Street Underground Station" to arrive
at
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...guage=en&type=
stop&id=1000138&itdLPxx_sessionID=JP09_13099587&i tdLPxx_requestID=1&comma
nd=nop. [That URL works across a reboot. I don't know if it is further
portable or can be shortened.]

[snipped remaining stuff irrelevant to this posting]

The information had gone by Friday night.

I assume reaction to my action. Which action I do not yet know.
It could have been the posting above, a customer service request asking
for information or a page I constructed containing
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_SOI_REQUEST?language=en&type
=stop&id=1000002 for Acton Town through to the corresponding link for
Willesden Junction.

Sadly, I only grabbed pages through to Fairlop. I shall follow up my
Customer service enquiry and report back here.
--
Walter Briscoe