Old February 12th 08, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bill Hayles Bill Hayles is offline

Default Fast Uxbridge Mets

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 05:00:13 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

On 10 Feb, 11:06, Bill Hayles wrote:

There used to be plenty of peak hour Uxbridge trains fast from Finchley
Road to Rayners Lane in 16 minutes.

Similarly Amershams fast from Finchley Road to Moor Park. (and Watfords
fast from Finchley Road to North Harrow)

Interesting stuff. Harrow on the Hill would seem to be regarded as a
more important hub nowadays - perhaps this shows the growing
importance of local traffic, rather than just whooshing people into
and out of central London. Then again, perhaps it just makes life
simpler for passengers - and as you say A-stock ain't as fast as it
used to be so maybe the current service pattern is also influenced by
what is operationally convenient.

What I've remembered is that pre-1963, these Uxbridge fasts would have
been operated by the Tanks ("F" stock). That and the East London Line
were their last duties before withdrawal. The normal Uxbridge service
was CO/CP operated.

The A60 stock replaced the loco hauled and "T" stock on the Met main
line, but the Uxbridge line had to wait until the A62 stock was
delivered.

I only remember the "F" stock from the East London Line. Riding on one
on an Uxbridge fast must have been quite an experience!

Since I was getting my detail from the 1962 Underground Guide, it would
be been an 8 car rake of "F" stock doing Finchley Road to Rayners Lane
in 16 minutes.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com