Old February 16th 08, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Alan[_2_] Alan[_2_] is offline

Default Oyster PAYG query

I had similar happen to me at City Thameslink - all the gates were open
and turned off, the oyster readers on the way 'in' were off, but on the
way 'out' were on. Seeing a large poster on the wall saying "oyster
users must always touch in and touch out", there were no staff in the
station, I touched my card on the working reader, and was 'fined' £5 for
my trouble! (My logic for touching 'out' on the way 'in' being I assumed
that when the gates were turned off, the 'out' readers were redefined as
'through', otherwise why weren't they turned off as well, or the 'in'
left on)

However, a phone call to the oyster helpline got me a refund. The
downside being like topup, one has to physically touch in, and like you I
don't live in London so I had to make another call a few days before my
next visit.

Anyway, give them a call on 0845 330 9876 (0800-2000) and I'm sure
they'll be sympathetic.

Alan

In article ,

*Subject:* Oyster PAYG query
*From:* "John"
*Date:* Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:35:50 -0000

I only use my PAYG card very infrequently, but think I've been
overcharged. I've registered the card online and checked all the
details of journeys I made on one day recently - and they are
correct. The problem from my point of view relates to a journey
where I didn't touch in but did touch out resulting in a further £4
charge for that day. .......