Old February 16th 08, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster PAYG query

On 16 Feb, 11:17, (Alan) wrote:
I had similar happen to me at City Thameslink - all the gates were open
and turned off, the oyster readers on the way 'in' were off, but on the
way 'out' were on. Seeing a large poster on the wall saying "oyster
users must always touch in and touch out", there were no staff in the
station, I touched my card on the working reader, and was 'fined' £5 for
my trouble! (My logic for touching 'out' on the way 'in' being I assumed
that when the gates were turned off, the 'out' readers were redefined as
'through', otherwise why weren't they turned off as well, or the 'in'
left on)

That certainly shouldn't have been the case - if gates are left open
for any reason then the Oyster readers on them should remain powered
on - though they will only active for the relevant direction (in or
out) as shown on the display on the gate.

I think that there were a few reports of similar troubles at LU
stations when the Oyster system first began, and perhaps staff hadn't
fully appreciated the necessity for the gates to remain active at all
times even when locked open. The gates at City Thameslink are pretty
new, so perhaps the staff there haven't got the hang of things. That's
not me making an excuse for them, just providing a possible
explanation.

If one does ever find oneself in this situation again then, if there
is one, use the standalone Oyster reader next to the manual gate (the
one that is literally like a garden gate) to touch-in or out as
appropriate - this reader will not make any presumption as to which
direction you are going - i.e. whether you are entering or leaving the
station. That said, the arrangement of there being a manual gate
doesn't always exist in newer installations, as it has been replaced
by a wide automatic gate suitable for those with luggage or in
wheelchairs etc.

However, a phone call to the oyster helpline got me a refund. The
downside being like topup, one has to physically touch in, and like you I
don't live in London so I had to make another call a few days before my
next visit.

Anyway, give them a call on 0845 330 9876 (0800-2000) and I'm sure
they'll be sympathetic.

Alan

They may well do. If you want to reach them using a geographic number
then you can call 020 7227 7886 (though I understand that soon 0845
numbers will be treated by telcos as being part of your free or
inclusive calling allowance to landlines).

Incidentally did you enquire about / did they offer the possibility of
obtaining a refund by cheque in the post?