Old February 22nd 08, 08:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Row over platform width delays Sandhills station reopening.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:35:45 -0000 someone who may be "Peter Masson"
wrote this:-

"Platforms to be not less than 6 feet wide"
(from the requirements of the Inspecting Officers of Railways, 29 April
1858)

The standard may have change during the past 150 years.

I may be wrong, but I doubt the original part of the platforms at
South Gyle are that wide, though the later extensions probably are.
The extensions are wider due to a change in the minimum width
requirements, but the extensions are at one end of the platforms
(the ends furthest from the main entrances and exits).

These platforms are dangerously narrow for the number of people
using them and a fair proportion of trains pass them at considerable
speed. If it wasn't for the huge railway cost increases since
privatisation I imagine they would have been widened by now.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh