Old November 16th 03, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
kedron kedron is offline

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

In
Mait001 wrote:

Why would you think tens of millions of people "never go on ANY
demonstration"?

You're espousing the view that there are a million or two of the demonstrator
category, and that they're a non-representative minority of trouble-makers
who
the rest tolerate. But you're wrong -- and dead wrong

I'd hazard a guess that, of the 55 million or so, only about 1 to 3 million
have EVER been on any demonstration of any sort.

But that's just a guess. It's precisely the kind of guess I suggested
you were making. Between poll tax, country alliance, cnd, anti-war, pensioners,
petrol geeks etc etc, I'd say your guess is wrong.

I'd say you're misjudging your fellow citizens.

What do the rest of you think?

In fact, of my social circle, I have not met a single person who has ever been
on one.

Is that supposed to be surprising?

If your social circle is greater than say four, I'd say you'd need to ask
around a bit more, before misrepresenting them here.

People in this country like to demonstrate -- from all sections of society.
Even governments are bright enough to realise that fact.

Maybe in your social circle.

It's nothing to do with my social circle, I just watch things carefully.

Within the British Constitution, the right to demonstrate has been one of the
most jealously guarded rights that people of this country have -- why is
that?

It's always puzzled me!

Well there you go.

I recommend that you look into that more closely Marc.

Aren't you really just making some very uninteresting comment about yourself?

Uninteresting or not, you choose to read and reply to it.

I was making what I believe is a correction.

and are, in any event, too busy earning a living to spend a
day in slow-walking down Central London streets

Precisely. You don't give a **** about anything except yourself.

Well, who cares about you?

Except, people who are "too busy earning a living", are also "too busy" to
know
when they're being ****ed up the ass -- at least until it's too late.

Fortunately, at least in this country, there is a tradition of people who
think.

Feel free to join.

Utterly prejudiced nonsense.

What is?

If I said something wrong, please point it out -- precisely.

I have already stated an issue

But we're not talking about any issue.

about which I feel passionately - not for
selfish reasons but because it is causing grave damage to this Country's
democratic traditions - the European Union. I just do not believe in
demonstrations.

Your beliefs, however, are not reason to trash Britain's age-old
tradition. Nor does it make incorrect assumptions correct -- does it?

I could CHOOSE not to earn a living and live off the backs of others, but I
regard it as my DUTY to work to provide for me and those who depend on me. I
should not be prevented from doing that.

Or is the right to demonstrate MORE IMPORTANT than the right to work?

I'd say it is.

Certainly it's more fundamental. Take it away, and you'd have difficulty
justifying most other rights, (that had previously been taken for granted).

--
kedron