Old November 16th 03, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Transport performance

Jeff Mowatt wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

Since LT bus fares used to be graded on a mileage basis, today's flat fare
will always look expensive if compared with the shortest distance 40 years
ago. What fare and distance are you comparing today's 65p/70p/£1 with?
--
Richard J.

Richard,

By short hop I mean the journey that most would use a bus for. A trip to the
local shopping centre, railway station etc. As I recall this was measured in
"fare stages" and 4 old pence entitled you to travel 2 of these.

(snip)

According to http://www.eh.net/hmit/ppowerbp, 4 old pence from 40
years ago is equivalent to £0.21 in 2002 money. So really it's only an
increase of about 330% to a current 70p fare.

Nowadays I suspect that bus usage has been changed significantly with
shorter journeys generally being made by pass holders.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7