Old March 15th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Ian Jelf: Shameless Plug for Free Walk

Ian Jelf wrote

Well, this is British Tourism Week and a whole host of London Blue

Badge
Guides are providing free walks on various "Great British" Themes

around
the capital.

I - for my sins - am doing "Great British Villains", a walk around
Whitechapel and Bethnal Green in the steps of the Kray Twins tomorrow

afternoon and - although transport interest is limited to the Bethnal

Green Tube Disaster, anyone from utl coming along would be moist

welcome
and please do say "hello".

The walk starts at Whitechapel Underground Station at 2.00pm and ends

back there around 4.00pm.

I thank you Ian for a very interesting walk as do, I am sure, the 50
others who came.

Your reference to the afternoon queues at the municipal baths in the
days where everyone worked a half day Saturday reminded me that the
timetable of the Waterloo&City may still show this historical influence
by closing early on Saturday.

In my personal transport diary today was my first ever trip East of
Aldgate (except one visit to QMC at Mile End) on the H&C or District. I
also observed several persons trying to work out from the posters what
"replacement bus" meant in the context of a journey south of the river
from Whitechapel.

--
Mike D