Old March 14th 08, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ian Jelf: Shameless Plug for Free Walk

I occasionally get people from on here asking about the various walks I
do around London and have to explain that I don't do "public" ones, only
ones arranged for private groups.

Well, this is British Tourism Week and a whole host of London Blue Badge
Guides are providing free walks on various "Great British" Themes around
the capital.

I - for my sins - am doing "Great British Villains", a walk around
Whitechapel and Bethnal Green in the steps of the Kray Twins tomorrow
afternoon and - although transport interest is limited to the Bethnal
Green Tube Disaster, anyone from utl coming along would be moist welcome
and please do say "hello".

The walk starts at Whitechapel Underground Station at 2.00pm and ends
back there around 4.00pm.

I stress again that it's FREE (ie there's nothing in it for me or any of
my colleagues, other than to promote London and Britain) and you can
read more about it and many other walks (which might interest some of
even more) at:

http://www.blue-badge-guides.com/ITGD2008-london.html

or

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/events...ls/Walk+free+i
n+London/article.do
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old March 14th 08, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf (Ian Jelf ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

anyone from utl coming along would be moist welcome

Ewww.
Old March 14th 08, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Adrian
writes
Ian Jelf (Ian Jelf ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

anyone from utl coming along would be moist welcome

Ewww.

Oops!

Mind you, given the weather forecast.......

Old March 14th 08, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:05:43 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

I - for my sins - am doing "Great British Villains", a walk around
Whitechapel and Bethnal Green in the steps of the Kray Twins tomorrow
afternoon and - although transport interest is limited to the Bethnal
Green Tube Disaster, anyone from utl coming along would be moist welcome
and please do say "hello".

Bugger. This would be on the day that I arranged weeks ago I'd be out
of London
Old March 15th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian typed

Ian Jelf (Ian Jelf ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

anyone from utl coming along would be moist welcome

Ewww.

It's been a wet weekend...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old March 15th 08, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote

Well, this is British Tourism Week and a whole host of London Blue

Badge
Guides are providing free walks on various "Great British" Themes

around
the capital.

I - for my sins - am doing "Great British Villains", a walk around
Whitechapel and Bethnal Green in the steps of the Kray Twins tomorrow

afternoon and - although transport interest is limited to the Bethnal

Green Tube Disaster, anyone from utl coming along would be moist

welcome
and please do say "hello".

The walk starts at Whitechapel Underground Station at 2.00pm and ends

back there around 4.00pm.

I thank you Ian for a very interesting walk as do, I am sure, the 50
others who came.

Your reference to the afternoon queues at the municipal baths in the
days where everyone worked a half day Saturday reminded me that the
timetable of the Waterloo&City may still show this historical influence
by closing early on Saturday.

In my personal transport diary today was my first ever trip East of
Aldgate (except one visit to QMC at Mile End) on the H&C or District. I
also observed several persons trying to work out from the posters what
"replacement bus" meant in the context of a journey south of the river
from Whitechapel.

--
Mike D

Old March 16th 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...
[...]

Sadly I forgot about this walk until Saturday evening, so missed it.

I have however read Diamond Geezer's review, would have liked to met him
as well.

http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/20...r_archive.html
Old March 17th 08, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 01c886d8$f2b70e00$LocalHost@default, Michael R N Dolbear
writes

Ian Jelf wrote

Well, this is British Tourism Week and a whole host of London Blue

Badge
Guides are providing free walks on various "Great British" Themes

around
the capital.

I - for my sins - am doing "Great British Villains", a walk around
Whitechapel and Bethnal Green in the steps of the Kray Twins tomorrow

afternoon and - although transport interest is limited to the Bethnal

Green Tube Disaster, anyone from utl coming along would be moist

welcome
and please do say "hello".

The walk starts at Whitechapel Underground Station at 2.00pm and ends

back there around 4.00pm.

I thank you Ian for a very interesting walk as do, I am sure, the 50
others who came.

You are very welcome and it was good to meet you.

We were around the 60 mark, by the way, which was rather more than I'm
used to dealing with.......

Your reference to the afternoon queues at the municipal baths in the
days where everyone worked a half day Saturday reminded me that the
timetable of the Waterloo&City may still show this historical influence
by closing early on Saturday.

Yes, why *does* that persist on the W&C? LU must have noticed
relatively few bankers on Saturday mornings by now. And not all of
them are wearing Bowlers these days, either.

In my personal transport diary today was my first ever trip East of
Aldgate

Interesting, isn't it??!!

(except one visit to QMC at Mile End) on the H&C or District. I
also observed several persons trying to work out from the posters what
"replacement bus" meant in the context of a journey south of the river
from Whitechapel.

It was ever so, even when the ELR *was* running, in my experience.
Whitechapel seemed always to have more than its fair share of confused
people!

I've now been asked to do another of these walks for *next* year.
Nothing like getting in ahead of schedule, is there?