Old November 20th 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Graffiti

Rob wrote:
New Tube boss Tim O'Toole appeared on BBC LDN Thursday night to talk
about graffiti crackdown. He said that damaged trains would be taken
out of service until cleaned/repaired.

Today: hardly any Circle line due to "a shortage of operational
stock".

I applaud the move to get rid of graffiti, but surely most passengers
would rather have damaged trains in service than no trains at all?

I'd rather suffer a short-term shortage of trains if it meant that graffiti
would stop. And I think it *would* stop if the vandals were denied the
pleasure of having their damage displayed in public. IIRC the same tactics
worked in New York.

But a lot more needs to be done to tackle graffiti on the infrastructure.
The open-air sections are appalling. It looks as if they shut the system
down at night and leave it completely unguarded. Aren't there any sort of
night patrols, intrusion detectors, etc? I realise it's a big system to
patrol, but when you get the walls within a few yards of Earl's Court
station covered in huge graffiti that must have taken a long time to do,
something is very wrong with asset protection overnight.
--
Richard J.