Old November 20th 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

Default Graffiti

New Tube boss Tim O'Toole appeared on BBC LDN Thursday night to talk about
graffiti crackdown. He said that damaged trains would be taken out of
service until cleaned/repaired.

Today: hardly any Circle line due to "a shortage of operational stock".

I applaud the move to get rid of graffiti, but surely most passengers would
rather have damaged trains in service than no trains at all?

Given the amount of damage to most trains (much of which seems to happen in
depots anyway) we could quickly end up with no trains at all. But, at least
we wouldn't see any train graffiti as we walked to work....

Rob.

Old November 20th 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rob wrote:
New Tube boss Tim O'Toole appeared on BBC LDN Thursday night to talk
about graffiti crackdown. He said that damaged trains would be taken
out of service until cleaned/repaired.

Today: hardly any Circle line due to "a shortage of operational
stock".

I applaud the move to get rid of graffiti, but surely most passengers
would rather have damaged trains in service than no trains at all?

I'd rather suffer a short-term shortage of trains if it meant that graffiti
would stop. And I think it *would* stop if the vandals were denied the
pleasure of having their damage displayed in public. IIRC the same tactics
worked in New York.

But a lot more needs to be done to tackle graffiti on the infrastructure.
The open-air sections are appalling. It looks as if they shut the system
down at night and leave it completely unguarded. Aren't there any sort of
night patrols, intrusion detectors, etc? I realise it's a big system to
patrol, but when you get the walls within a few yards of Earl's Court
station covered in huge graffiti that must have taken a long time to do,
something is very wrong with asset protection overnight.
--
Richard J.

Old November 20th 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Richard J.
writes
I'd rather suffer a short-term shortage of trains if it meant that graffiti
would stop. And I think it *would* stop if the vandals were denied the
pleasure of having their damage displayed in public. IIRC the same tactics
worked in New York.

I don't think there'd be many people who have to travel in the peak
who'd agree with you.
If I remember, I'll do a quick poll on the platform tomorrow morning and
get back to you ;-)
--
Kat Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax

and get used to the idea - Robert A. Heinlein

Old November 20th 03, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote the following in:

Rob wrote:
New Tube boss Tim O'Toole appeared on BBC LDN Thursday night to
talk about graffiti crackdown. He said that damaged trains would
be taken out of service until cleaned/repaired.

Today: hardly any Circle line due to "a shortage of operational
stock".

I applaud the move to get rid of graffiti, but surely most
passengers would rather have damaged trains in service than no
trains at all?

I'd rather suffer a short-term shortage of trains if it meant that
graffiti would stop. And I think it *would* stop if the vandals
were denied the pleasure of having their damage displayed in
public. IIRC the same tactics worked in New York.

Me too. It's incredibly depressing travelling on a train that's been
vandalised, they seem so dirty, nasty and unwelcoming. I've noticed a
definite improvement and it's very nice to see.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!
Old November 21st 03, 01:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I was at Richmond the other night, smelt paint so I called for assistance,
police would have taken 10 mins to arrive, "Security" arrived and by the
time they'd realised where they were the scum had managed to escape over the
wall.

The train will still be covered in crap.

. 1.4...

Old November 21st 03, 07:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rob" wrote in message
New Tube boss Tim O'Toole appeared on BBC LDN Thursday night to talk about
graffiti crackdown.

It is part of a national campaign.
There was quite a bit on the subject on last night's Crimewatch UK.

Old November 21st 03, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ishmael Sayle III" wrote in message ...
I was at Richmond the other night, smelt paint so I called for assistance,
police would have taken 10 mins to arrive, "Security" arrived and by the
time they'd realised where they were the scum had managed to escape over the
wall.

The train will still be covered in crap.

. 1.4...

Rob wrote:
[...]

Shameful mate.
Old November 21st 03, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I was on a train heading towards Richmond that was being vandalised. I went
and told the guard who was checking tickets further down the train and his
response was to hide in his compartment and not inform the driver or police.
Shame as it was a nice new train!