Old May 26th 08, 12:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default TfL £5Bn short for Crossrail

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 11:49:36 on
Sun, 25 May 2008, Recliner remarked:

I also had 'unlimited' visas in the old days, but it turns out they
weren't.

They weren't unlimited, the were "indefinite", which doesn't mean
"lasts for ever" but actually means "we can't tell when they will
end". And one day they simply decided to end them all!

My 10-year UK passport was extended (because of a strike in the UK
passport office), but when I next went to the US, the immigration
officer cancelled my visa as it was over ten years old. Apparently
'unlimited' visas actually lasted ten years. I don't know if they
still do that.

I think you are conflating your experience with the fact that having
decided to end all the "indefinite" Visas (ie come to a definite
decision on when they would end, once the VWP had proven itself), they
cancelled them in your passport the next time you went to the USA.

Ah, I must have misunderstood. I was a bit put out at having my
queued-for, apparently valuable visa cancelled in such a cavalier
manner, so perhaps I didn't take proper note of the reason why. But
you're right, it was soon after the VWP had come in. Thereafter, I had
to remember to complete the green instead of the white I-94 form, and
also to answer (in the negative) all the silly questions on the back.