Old May 26th 08, 11:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default TfL £5Bn short for Crossrail

"Martin Edwards" wrote in message

I imagine you have to be of high net worth to use City Airport.

Not nessaccerarly, last time I visited Munich (This January) LCY - MUC - LCY
cost 83 quid for the return...
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old May 26th 08, 11:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message

"Martin Edwards" wrote in message

I imagine you have to be of high net worth to use City Airport.

Not nessaccerarly, last time I visited Munich (This January) LCY - MUC -
LCY cost 83 quid for the return...

And please excuse that appalling spelling...

Old May 26th 08, 11:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Steve Dulieu wrote:
"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message

Not nessaccerarly,

And please excuse that appalling spelling...

No! This time, you've gone too far! ;-)

Old May 26th 08, 12:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 11:49:36 on
Sun, 25 May 2008, Recliner remarked:

I also had 'unlimited' visas in the old days, but it turns out they
weren't.

They weren't unlimited, the were "indefinite", which doesn't mean
"lasts for ever" but actually means "we can't tell when they will
end". And one day they simply decided to end them all!

My 10-year UK passport was extended (because of a strike in the UK
passport office), but when I next went to the US, the immigration
officer cancelled my visa as it was over ten years old. Apparently
'unlimited' visas actually lasted ten years. I don't know if they
still do that.

I think you are conflating your experience with the fact that having
decided to end all the "indefinite" Visas (ie come to a definite
decision on when they would end, once the VWP had proven itself), they
cancelled them in your passport the next time you went to the USA.

Ah, I must have misunderstood. I was a bit put out at having my
queued-for, apparently valuable visa cancelled in such a cavalier
manner, so perhaps I didn't take proper note of the reason why. But
you're right, it was soon after the VWP had come in. Thereafter, I had
to remember to complete the green instead of the white I-94 form, and
also to answer (in the negative) all the silly questions on the back.

Old May 27th 08, 01:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 25 May, 07:53, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:46:19 on Sun, 25
May 2008, Martin Edwards remarked:

Also it is debatable whether Luton or Stanstead are actually in the
London area. *The names are a product of London's self-obsession and
the international obsession with it.

Luton qualifies under your description (even though it's as well
connected to London as Gatwick and arguably better than Stansted) but
Stansted is the official "third London Airport".

Surely Luton isn't closer to London than Stansted is? I'd have thought
they were about equi-distant.

Jonn

Old May 27th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 27 May, 19:09, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008 15:18:55 +0100, James Farrar

wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008 06:47:09 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On 25 May, 07:53, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:46:19 on Sun, 25
May 2008, Martin Edwards remarked:

Also it is debatable whether Luton or Stanstead are actually in the
London area. The names are a product of London's self-obsession and
the international obsession with it.

Luton qualifies under your description (even though it's as well
connected to London as Gatwick and arguably better than Stansted) but
Stansted is the official "third London Airport".

Surely Luton isn't closer to London than Stansted is? I'd have thought
they were about equi-distant.

Luton looks to be about 5 miles closer than Stansted.

According to DirectGov journey planner:-
To Charing Cross from -
Stansted 40.8 miles
Lu'on 34.7
Gatwick 29.4
Thiefrow 17.4
Northolt 14.1
London City 8.6

Fair enough. But I still think it's difficult to argue that 35 miles
away in Bedfordshire is London, while 41 miles away in Essex isn't...

Old May 27th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:12:44 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Fair enough. But I still think it's difficult to argue that 35 miles
away in Bedfordshire is London, while 41 miles away in Essex isn't...

The point is that they all *serve* London. Gatwick isn't much
closer...

Neil

--
Neil Williams