Old June 19th 08, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

In message , at 10:55:40 on Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Dik T.
Winter remarked:
On another note, though, I would like to see the abolition of the 1p
and 2p coins as the Dutch have done with the 1 and 2 euro-cent coins.
There is hardly a need for them these days.

Are they allowed to do that when they are valid elsewhere in the EU?

The 1 and 2 cent coins are accepted but that is just about all. Moreover,
when paying in cash the total amount to pay is rounded to the nearest
multiple of 5 cent (which is allowed *), so you will never receive 1 and
2 cent coins.

Half an hour ago a Dutch bureau de change gave me a 97 cents, rather
than the 96 cents they calculated they owed me. The change included one
each of 2c and 5c.

So it seems the Dutch have not abolished the 2c after all.

If they'd have wanted to round it up to a Euro (and save counting small
coins at all) that would have been fine by me.