Old June 21st 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default TfL vans parked on red routes

In message , at 12:46:56 on Sat,
21 Jun 2008, John Rowland
remarked:
The other day I saw a van parked on a double red line, with a "TFL Buses"
sign or similar in the window. The driver was attending to a ticket machine
at a bus stop. Is this formally allowed, or ar TfL breaking their own rules?
The red routes are supposed to aid traffic flow, not aid TfL.

The drivers of vans belonging to utility companies (and similar) often
take liberties. Two examples I've seen recently:

Van with cherry-picker, for repairing streetlamps. Parked on the
zig-zags at a busy zebra crossing. Well, they have to change them
somehow, I expect, but this one was in the lowered position and the
driver was eating his lunch.

A busy road where the double yellow lines have recently been augmented
with "no loading/unloading" kerb markings. Police car parked half on and
half off the pavement with a sign saying it was checking numberplates.
So not an emergency situation.

As for the original question: perhaps they should service the machines
at a time when the restriction doesn't apply.