Old June 21st 08, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL vans parked on red routes

The other day I saw a van parked on a double red line, with a "TFL Buses"
sign or similar in the window. The driver was attending to a ticket machine
at a bus stop. Is this formally allowed, or ar TfL breaking their own rules?
The red routes are supposed to aid traffic flow, not aid TfL.

Old June 21st 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:46:56 on Sat,
21 Jun 2008, John Rowland
remarked:
The other day I saw a van parked on a double red line, with a "TFL Buses"
sign or similar in the window. The driver was attending to a ticket machine
at a bus stop. Is this formally allowed, or ar TfL breaking their own rules?
The red routes are supposed to aid traffic flow, not aid TfL.

The drivers of vans belonging to utility companies (and similar) often
take liberties. Two examples I've seen recently:

Van with cherry-picker, for repairing streetlamps. Parked on the
zig-zags at a busy zebra crossing. Well, they have to change them
somehow, I expect, but this one was in the lowered position and the
driver was eating his lunch.

A busy road where the double yellow lines have recently been augmented
with "no loading/unloading" kerb markings. Police car parked half on and
half off the pavement with a sign saying it was checking numberplates.
So not an emergency situation.

As for the original question: perhaps they should service the machines
at a time when the restriction doesn't apply.
Old June 21st 08, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:46:56 on
Sat, 21 Jun 2008, John Rowland
remarked:
The other day I saw a van parked on a double red line, with a "TFL
Buses" sign or similar in the window. The driver was attending to a
ticket machine at a bus stop. Is this formally allowed, or ar TfL
breaking their own rules? The red routes are supposed to aid traffic
flow, not aid TfL.

perhaps they should service the machines
at a time when the restriction doesn't apply.

Double red lines are 24 hour. They typically have numerous parking spaces
which are available outside the peak hour for the direction in question, but
the van in question was not parked in one.

Old June 21st 08, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The other day I saw a van parked on a double red line, with a "TFL Buses"
sign or similar in the window. The driver was attending to a ticket machine
at a bus stop. Is this formally allowed, or ar TfL breaking their own rules?
The red routes are supposed to aid traffic flow, not aid TfL.

The drivers of vans belonging to utility companies (and similar) often
take liberties.

Vehicles used by utility companies (statutory undertakers in the legal
parlance), plus the Royal Mail and certain others like highway
maintenance vehicles, are usually specifically exempted in the Traffic
Orders from the controls and are therefore not commiting an offence.
That's not to say that sometimes the drivers don't overstay their
welcome.

Peter Heather
Old June 24th 08, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Jun, 20:28, Peter Heather wrote:
The other day I saw a van parked on a double red line, with a "TFL Buses"
sign or similar in the window. The driver was attending to a ticket machine
at a bus stop. Is this formally allowed, or ar TfL breaking their own rules?
The red routes are supposed to aid traffic flow, not aid TfL.

The drivers of vans belonging to utility companies (and similar) often
take liberties.

Vehicles used by utility companies (statutory undertakers in the legal
parlance), plus the Royal Mail and certain others like highway
maintenance vehicles, are usually specifically exempted in the Traffic
Orders from the controls and are therefore not commiting an offence.
That's not to say that sometimes the drivers don't overstay their
welcome.

Peter Heather

These vehicles are exempt only whilst the operator is carrying out
essential duties requiring the vehicle. 'Overstaying' would therefore
be an offence.

Old June 24th 08, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 24, 3:15*pm, umpston wrote:
[...]

be an offence.- Hide quoted text -

I don't dispute that, but since the original question was whether a
TfL van being used to service a ticket machine (or a highway authority
vehicle being used in connection with repairing a street light) was
committing an offence, my answer that they weren't is still valid.