Old August 31st 08, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] furles@mail.croydon.ac.uk is offline

Default Fire on articulated bus.

On 31 Aug, 14:24, D7666 wrote:

If saw saw a hayrick on fire in Somerset and a torched car on a south
London street would you connect the two ?

No, and these are obviously quite different vehicles, but in the case
of both the buses and the tram we have seen fires which seem to have
started in equipment spread to passenger compartments, and, as I
understand it, done so quite quickly. I would expect that modern
passenger carrying vehicles would be constructed using reasonably fire
retardant materials, and yet we are seeing modern vehicles being
totally burned out. In the case of at least two of the buses and the
tram they were not in passenger service at the time of course, and the
tram was a prototype vehicle, and not licenced to carry passengers,
but it had reached the stage of an actual working vehicle running on
test. Of course fires will happen, I saw a bus a few years ago where
there had been a fire in the engine compartment, but the whole vehicle
hadn't gone up like these have done.