Old August 29th 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fire on articulated bus.

The Evening Standard reports, with picture, a serious fire on another
articulated bus, being used for training in Hackney. I don't know the
full details, but following at least two previous fires on these
buses, and the one on the prototype tram in Blackpool last year I find
this rather worrying. The fire seems to be mainly in the rear
passenger compartment.

Old August 29th 08, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Aug, 15:06, Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

The Evening Standard reports, with picture, a serious fire on another
articulated bus, being used for training in Hackney. *I don't know the
full details, but following at least two previous fires on these buses,

At least *two*?

...and the rest...

There are two that I definately remember, one of which I actually saw.

I had a feeling there may have been more, but I wasn't sure. The
picture in today's standard is of poor quality, being a frame from a
mobile 'phone video, but there seems to be a lot of flame on the roof;
where this is coming from isn't totally clear, but it does look
different to the previous fires. Presumably, since the vihicle was
being used for training, we can rule out the fire being started by
passengers. I was on a bus a few years ago when a group of
schoolgirls sitting at the back set fire to the seat before getting
off; I'm not sure why.
Old August 29th 08, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's not just the Mercedes buses, the Mercedes ambulances are going up
in flames too:

"Three separate engine fires in the last two weeks. An investigations
team has flown over from Germany to examine the engines. "
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7584282.stm
Old August 31st 08, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 29, 2:53*pm, wrote:

two previous fires on these
buses, and the one on the prototype tram in Blackpool

How are you making a connection between bendibus and tram fires ?

If saw saw a hayrick on fire in Somerset and a torched car on a south
London street would you connect the two ?

--
Nick

Old August 31st 08, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 Aug, 14:24, D7666 wrote:

If saw saw a hayrick on fire in Somerset and a torched car on a south
London street would you connect the two ?

No, and these are obviously quite different vehicles, but in the case
of both the buses and the tram we have seen fires which seem to have
started in equipment spread to passenger compartments, and, as I
understand it, done so quite quickly. I would expect that modern
passenger carrying vehicles would be constructed using reasonably fire
retardant materials, and yet we are seeing modern vehicles being
totally burned out. In the case of at least two of the buses and the
tram they were not in passenger service at the time of course, and the
tram was a prototype vehicle, and not licenced to carry passengers,
but it had reached the stage of an actual working vehicle running on
test. Of course fires will happen, I saw a bus a few years ago where
there had been a fire in the engine compartment, but the whole vehicle
hadn't gone up like these have done.